Published on 11th Oct, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. SARAS Aajeevika Mela begins in New Delhi
SARAS Aajeevika Mela has begun at India Gate Lawns, in New Delhi. It has been organized by the Ministry of Rural Development under the initiative of the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission.
·It aims to bring the rural women Self Help Groups (SHGs) formed with support of DAY-NRLM, under one platform to show-case their skills, sell their products and help them build linkages with bulk buyers.
·Over 200 stalls have been set-up at the Mela venue, where nearly 500 rural SHG craftswomen from 29 States and UTs will show-case varied range of products like handicrafts, handlooms, natural food products and a food court with regional cuisines at India Gate Lawns.
2. GoI launches Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan (SUMAN) initiative
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan has launched the Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan (SUMAN) initiative in New Delhi.
·The initiative was launched during the 13th Conference of Central Council of Health and Family Welfare.
·The initiative aims to assure dignified, respectful and quality health care at no cost for every woman and newborn visiting the public health facility in order to end all preventable maternal and newborn deaths.
·It also provides a positive birth experience to both mother and infant. With the initiative, the government is committed to achieve the target of reducing the maternal mortality and child mortality.
3. Moody’s cuts India’s GDP growth forecast to 5.8% for FY20
Moody, the rating agency has lowered its 2019-20 GDP growth forecast for India to 5.8% from 6.2%.
·It stated that the Indian economy is experiencing a pronounced slowdown partly due to long-lasting factors.
4. GeM signs MOU with Union Bank of India
Government e-Marketplace signed an MoU with Union Bank of India. As per the MoU, UBI will be able to offer an array of services including transfer of funds through GeM Pool Accounts, advising of Performance Bank Guarantees and Earnest Money Deposit to the registered users on the GeM portal.
·The MoU will facilitate a cashless, paperless and transparent payment system on the portal and will create an efficient procurement system for government entities.
·GeM is an initiative of the Government of India offering one stop platform facilitating online procurement of common use goods and services required by various government departments, organisations, Public Sector Units.
5. The Nobel Peace Prize for 2019
The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 2019 to Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed Ali. He has been awarded for his efforts to achieve peace and international cooperation, and in particular for his decisive initiative to resolve the border conflict with neighbouring Eritrea.
·The prize is also meant to recognise all the stakeholders working for peace and reconciliation in Ethiopia and in the East and Northeast African regions.
·He will receive a full cash prize, valued this year at 9-million kronor ($918,000), a gold medal and a diploma.
6. The Nobel Prize in Literature 2018 and 2019
The Nobel Prizes in Literature 2018 and 2019 were announced at The Swedish Academy in Stockholm. Both winners will receive a full cash prize, valued this year at 9-million kronor ($918,000), a gold medal and a diploma.
·The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2018 is awarded to the Polish author Olga Tokarczuk. She has been awarded “for a narrative imagination that with encyclopedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life.”
·The Nobel Prize in Literature for 2019 is awarded to the Austrian author Peter Handke. He has been awarded “for an influential work that with linguistic ingenuity has explored the periphery and the specificity of human experience.”
7. International Day of the Girl Child: 11 October
The United Nations observes International Day of the Girl Child on 11th of October every year. The day aims to highlight and address the needs and challenges girls face, while promoting girls’ empowerment and the fulfillment of their human rights.
·The theme for 2019: GirlForce: Unscripted and Unstoppable.
8. 9th RCEP Intersessional Ministerial Meeting to be held in Thailand
The 9th Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) Intersessional Ministerial Meeting will be held in Bangkok, Thailand.
·This will be the final Ministerial meeting before the 3rd Leaders’ Summit which will be held on November 4, 2019 in Bangkok.
·Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal will represent India in the meeting.
·He will also hold a series of bilateral meetings with his counterparts from Japan, Singapore, China, Australia and New Zealand during the Bangkok Ministerial.
9. Railway police’s website & mobile app “Sahyatri” launched
Union Minister Nityanand Rai has launched a Government Railway Police’s website “railways.delhipolice.gov.in” and a mobile application “Sahyatri”.
·The database of criminals, including their photographs, active in railways’ jurisdiction all over India would be uploaded on the Railway police’s website. It will also have the facility to scan and read QR codes and make an emergency call.
·The Sahyatri app will help railway passengers find out the jurisdiction of a police station and the details of GRP officials by geo-tagging with Google Maps.
·It will also help the railway police in addressing complaints of passengers from across India and crime detection by integrating the criminal database online.
10. 38th India Carpet Expo begins in Varanasi
The 38th India Carpet Expo will be held in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. The expo will be organized by the Carpet Export Promotion Council (CEPC).
·The India Carpet Expo aims to promote the cultural heritage and weaving skills of Indian hand-made carpets and other floor coverings for the visiting overseas carpet buyers.
·India carpet expo also acts as a platform for international carpet buyers, buying houses, buying agents, architects and Indian carpet manufacturers and exporters to meet and establish business relationship.
11. Maharashtra & Goa Circle celebrating National Postal Week
The Maharashtra and Goa Circle of the India Post is celebrating National Postal Week.
·The postal circle is observing the National Postal Week in each of the six regions under its jurisdiction – Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, Pune, Nagpur, Aurangabad and Goa.
·The week is being celebrated to spread awareness about services provided by the department and efforts made to meet changing requirements of customers.
·The week also commemorates the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in the Swiss capital Berne.
Published on 10th Oct, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Dearness allowance of government employees hiked by 5%.
The Central government has increased the Dearness Allowance (DA) of Central government employees and pensioners. The government has hiked DA by 5%, which means the dearness allowance has been increased from 12% to 17%. The decision was approved in a cabinet meet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The hike would be effective from July 2019. The cost to the exchequer will be Rs 16,000 crore.
· The cabinet also approved inclusion of 5,300 families under the development package of Jammu & Kashmir, who initially opted to move outside the state, but later returned and settled in the Jammu & Kashmir. This will enable such development package families to become eligible to get one-time financial assistance of Rs 5.5 lakh under the existing scheme.
· Cabinet has also relaxed the mandatory requirement of Aadhaar-seeded data as a pre-condition for release of funds to the beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi scheme. The relaxation will be till 30th November 2019. It will enable immediate release of benefits to a large number of farmers who are not able to avail the same due this requirement.
2. “DHRUV” a Learning Programme launched from ISRO, Bengaluru
“DHRUV” a Pradhan Mantri Innovation Learning Programme has commenced from Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in Bengaluru and will conclude at IIT, Delhi.
· The programme aims to further sharpen innovative imagination, skills and knowledge of the students who are expected to contribute to bringing solutions to socio-economic, political and environmental issues in the country.
· 60 brightest and talented students from Science, Mathematics and Performing Arts have been chosen for the programme.
3. GoI launches “Ganga Aamantran: Open Water Rafting Expedition”
Jal Shakti Minister has launched an initiative ‘Ganga Amantran’. The initiative has been launched to connect with the stakeholders of the river.
· It is a pioneering exploratory open-water rafting and kayaking expedition on the Ganga river. The expedition will start at Devaprayag and culminate at Ganga Sagar covering the entire stretch of over 2500 kms of the River.
· Ganga Aamantran is the 1st ever effort by National Mission for Clean Ganga to raft across the entire stretch of the river.
· It is also the longest ever social campaign undertaken through an adventure sporting activity to spread the message of River Rejuvenation and Water Conservation on a massive scale.
4. Govt constitutes panel for measures to raise GST revenue
The Central Government has constituted a committee of officers to suggest measures to augment GST revenue collections and administration.
· The terms of reference of the panel includes making suggestions related to systemic changes in goods and services tax (GST) including checks and balances to prevent misuse and measures to improve voluntary compliance.
· The panel has also been given the task to give inputs on measures for the expansion of the tax base. The committee have to submit its 1st report within 15 days to the GST Council Secretariat.
5. RBI rejects Indiabulls Housing & Lakshmi Vilas Bank merger deal
The Reserve Bank of India has rejected the merger proposal of Indiabulls Housing Finance and Lakshmi Vilas Bank.
· RBI has rejected the application for voluntary amalgamation of Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd. and Indiabulls Commercial Credit Ltd. with the Lakshmi Vilas Bank Ltd.
· The merger was crucial for Lakshmi Vilas Bank as it is now under the prompt corrective action framework of the RBI due to a high level of bad loans and insufficient capital.
Ranks and Reports
6. RBI released Consumer Confidence Survey (September 2019)
The Reserve Bank of India has released the results of the September 2019 round of its Consumer Confidence Survey.
· The survey was conducted in 13 major cities: Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhopal, Chennai, Delhi, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Patna and Thiruvananthapuram.
· Perceptions and expectations on the general economic situation, the employment scenario, the overall price situation and own income and spending are obtained from households across these cities.
Highlights of the survey:
· Consumer confidence weakened in September with both the current situation index and the future expectations index recording declines.
· Households’ sentiments on the general economic situation and the employment scenario declined. They were less optimistic on their income over the year ahead than in July 2019.
· Respondents perceived an increase in the price level over the last 1 year and a majority of them expect prices to rise further in the coming year.
· Respondents sentiments on overall spending as well as essential spending remain strong, though sentiments on discretionary spending weakened..
7. RBI approves merger of DCBs to form ‘Kerala Bank’
The Reserve Bank of India has given the go-ahead to the Kerala government to amalgamate 13 district cooperative banks (DCBs) with the Kerala State Cooperative Bank to form the proposed “Kerala Bank”.
· Except the Malappuram District Cooperative Bank, all district banks had approved the scheme of amalgamation proposed by the State government at their respective general body meetings.
· Now, the government have to complete the stipulations laid for merger and submit a compliance report to the apex bank before March 31, 2020.
· RBI also insisted that the State government would have to consistently infuse additional capital and also put in place a well-defined governance structure by amending the KSCS Act..
8. Russia honors astronaut Nick Hague with “Order of Courage”
Russia has honoured NASA astronaut Nick Hague with one of its highest honours, “The Order of Courage“.
· Nick Hague survived an aborted space launch with Russian cosmonaut Aleksey Ovchinin when their Soyuz rocket failed minutes after blast-off from Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan in October 2018.
· Hague has been awarded for his “courage and high professionalism” shown during life-threatening conditions.
9. German Footballer Bastian Schweinsteiger announces his retirement
German World Cup champion Bastian Schweinsteiger has announced his retirement from soccer.
· Schweinsteiger spent a major part of his career with European giants Bayern Munich, where he won 8 Bundesliga titles and 7 German cups as well as the Champions league in 2013.
· He made over 300 appearances for the Bavarian side, scoring 45 goals from 2002-2015.
10. World Mental Health Day: 10 October
World Health Organization observes World Mental Health Day on 10th of October every year. The day is celebrated with an objective of raising awareness of mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health.
· The Day provides an opportunity for all stakeholders working on mental health issues to talk about their work and what more needs to be done to make mental health care a reality for people worldwide.
· The theme selected for this year’s Day: Suicide Prevention.
· This year’s Day is supported by WHO, the International Association for Suicide Prevention, and United for Global Mental Health. World Mental Health Day is organized by the World Federation for Mental Health.
11. World Space Week: 4th-10th October
The United Nations (Office for Outer Space Affairs) observes 4-10 October every year as World Space Week. It is an international celebration of science and technology, and their contribution to the betterment of the human condition.
· The United Nations General Assembly declared in 1999 that World Space Week (WSW) will be held each year from October 4-10. The dates were in recognition of the October 4, 1957 launch of the first human-made Earth satellite, Sputnik 1.
· The theme for 2019 is: The Moon: Gateway to the Stars
· During World Space Week space education and outreach events are organised by space agencies, aerospace companies, schools, planetaria, museums, and astronomy clubs around the world.
Science and Technology
12. Saturn overtakes Jupiter as planet with most moons
A team of astronomers has discovered a haul of 20 new moons orbiting the ringed planet, Saturn. This discovery has brought its total to 82 moons, while Jupiter, by contrast, has 79 natural satellites.
· The moons were discovered using the Subaru telescope on Maunakea, Hawaii.
· Each of the newly discovered objects in orbit around Saturn is about 5 km in diameter and 17 of them orbit the planet “backwards” i.e. retrograde direction. The other three moons orbit in a prograde direction i.e. the same direction as Saturn rotates.
· Dr Scott Sheppard of the Carnegie Institution for Science in Washington DC led the team of astronomers including David Jewitt of University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), and Jan Kleyna of the University of Hawaii.
13. Vishnu Nandan among 300 researchers to join MOSAiC Expedition
Vishnu Nandan, polar researcher from Kerala will join largest ever Arctic expedition “MOSAiC Expedition“. He will be the only Indian aboard among the 300 researchers for multidisciplinary drifting observatory for the Study of Arctic Climate expedition.
· Vishnu Nandan will aboard the German research vessel Polarstern, anchored on a large sheet of sea ice in the Central Arctic, drifting along with it during the pitch-black Polar winter.
· Led by the Alfred Wegener Institute in Germany, MOSAiC, the largest ever Arctic expedition in history, will be the first to conduct a study of this scale at the North Pole for an entire year.
· The expedition will help the researchers better understand the impact of climate change and aid in improved weather projections.
14. “GEMINI” system to warn fishermen of danger
GEMINI is a portable receiver developed to avoid communication blackouts. It linked to ISRO-satellites and is “fail-proof” and warn fishermen of danger.
· The Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services collaborated with Accord, a private company, to develop a box-shaped receiver that has an antenna and in-built battery that can last 3 to 4 days.
· GEMINI works on GAGAN, developed by ISRO and the Airports Authority of India and is an India-made global positioning system and relies on the positioning system by ISRO’s GSAT satellites.
· When GEMINI is connected to an app, it also lets fishermen know the probability of fish-catch in the surrounding seas.
Published on 3rd Oct, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. RBI appoints Jai Bhagwan Bhoria as administrator for PMC Bank
The Reserve Bank of India has superseded the Board of Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative Bank Limited, Mumbai and appointed Jai Bhagwan Bhoria as the bank’s administrator with all powers of the board. Jai Bhagwan Bhoria replaces S.Waryam Singh.
·RBI had recently increased the amount of withdrawal allowed to the depositors of PMC from Rs 1,000 to Rs 10,000 and the directives will remain in force for a period of six months.
2. KS Dhatwalia appointed as PIB’s Principal DG
Senior Indian Information Service officer, KS Dhatwalia, has been appointed as the Principal Director General of Press Information Bureau.
·He will succeed Sitanshu Kar and will be the 28th Principal Spokesperson of the government.
·He has worked in key positions in various Media Units of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
3. SBI becomes first Indian bank to have office in Australia’s Victoria
The State Bank of India opened its Melbourne office and becoming the first Indian bank to have a branch in the Australian state of Victoria.
·The Melbourne office will assist the growing trade and investment relations between Victoria and India and is the outcome of the state’s 10-year India Strategy.
·This investment by India’s largest commercial bank is a testament to our thriving financial services sector and our highly skilled workforce.
4. Land-attack version of BrahMos supersonic missile successfully test-fired
India successfully test-fired a land-attack version of BrahMos supersonic missile from Chandipur coast in Odisha’s Balasore district.
·DRDO conducted the test-fire successfully. The missile, with a strike range of 290km, can be fired from land as well as sea-based platforms. BrahMos is a joint venture between the DRDO and the NPOM of Russia.
Ranks and Reports
5. Kerala tops NITI Aayog’s School Education Quality Index
Kerala has topped the “School Education Quality Index” launched by NITI Aayog. Uttar Pradesh was ranked at the bottom of the list. Chandigarh has topped the list of Union Territories.
·The School Education Quality Index assesses States on the basis of learning outcomes, access, equity and infrastructure and facilities, using survey data, self-reported data from States and third-party verification.
·Tamil Nadu was the top performer in access and equity outcomes, while Karnataka led in learning outcomes. Haryana had the best infrastructure and facilities.
6. Wilson-Satish pair wins gold at Asian Age Group Championships
India’s N. Wilson Singh and Satish Kumar Prahapati won the gold medal in the 10m platform synchronised diving event at the Asian Age Group Championships held in Bengaluru.
·The duo of Wilson and Satish scored 290.19 score to beat Uzbekistan’s Zaynetdinov Marsel and Khasanov Botir, who scored 280.53 points. The bronze medal went to Mojtaba Valipour and Masood Vakili of Iran with a score of 266.16.
7. Fraser-Pryce wins World Championship 100m gold
Jamaican sprint legend Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce won gold medal in 100m race of 2019 IAAF World Championships held in Doha.
·This was her 4th women’s 100 metres world title. She defeated Britain’s European champion Dina Asher-Smith who took silver medal while Marie-Josee Ta Lou finished 3rd.
8. Fencer Bhavani Devi wins silver medal at Tournoi satellite competition in Belgium
Indian fencer Bhavani Devi wins the silver medal in the women’s sabre individual event at the Tournoi satellite competition in Belgium. She lost 15-10 to Anna Bashta of Azerbaijan in the final.
10. Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton won 2019 Russia F1 Grand Prix
Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton of Mercedes won the 2019 Russia F1 Grand Prix (Formula 1 GP) at Sochi Autodrom race track in Russia.
·Mercedes Valtteri Bottas (Finland) and Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc (Monaco) won the second and third spot respectively. The victory was the 82nd of Hamilton’s career, and ninth of the season, leaving him nine short of Michael Schumacher’s all-time record of 91.
11. INA veteran from Tamil Nadu V Ganesan passes away
Indian National Army (INA) veteran V Ganesan passed away. He joined Netaji’s INA at the age of 18 and received six months of military training in Singapore.
·While participating in the battle against the British Army in Myanmar, he was arrested and was imprisoned for 10 months in Yangon jail and was later repatriated to India.
·He was honoured by the President of India in 2012 at a function in Rashtrapati Bhavan. He also a recipient of Copper Plaques from both the central and state governments.
12. Legendary singer Jose Jose passes away
Legendary Mexican singer Jose Jose who was often called ‘El Principe de la Cancion’ or ‘The Prince of Song, passes away.
·In a career of more than four-decade, the singer sold millions of albums and picked by 6 Grammy nominations.
13. Grammy-winning opera star ‘Jessye Norman’ passes away
Jessye Norman, the renowned international opera star whose passionate soprano voice won her 4 Grammy awards and the national medal of arts, passed away recently.
·She was a trailblazing performer and one of the rare black singers to attain worldwide stardom in the opera world.
·Jessye Norman made her operatic debut in 1969 in Berlin, wowing audiences around the world on stages in Milan, London and New York. Norman, at 52, became the youngest person to earn the Kennedy Center Honor in the organization’s 20-year history.
14. International Day of Older Persons: 1 October
The United Nations observes 1 October every year as International Day of Older Persons.
·The International Day of Older Persons is an opportunity to highlight the important contributions that older people make to society and raise awareness of the opportunities and challenges of ageing in today’s world.
·2019 Theme: The Journey to Age Equality.
·The theme focuses on pathways of coping with existing and preventing future old age inequalities.
15. UNESCO, DD Join Hands for TV Show on Gandhi’s 150th Anniversary
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) and Doordarshan, country’s public service broadcaster have joined hands to telecast TV bilingual programme ‘Mahatma Lives‘ or ‘Bapu Zinda Hain’ on 1-2 October 2019.
·UNESCO and Doordarshan will telecast TV bilingual programme to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi.
·The objective of the programme is to celebrate his ideas and teachings and how it has shaped the lives of people in India as well as around the world.
Published on 30th Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. International Astronomical Union names asteroid after Pandit Jasraj
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has named an asteroid after Indian classical singer Pandit Jasraj. The asteroid formally known as a minor planet, is located between Mars and Jupiter.
· It was discovered on November 11, 2006, by the Catalina Sky Survey. The privilege of naming a planet is first given to discoverers, who have 10 years to propose a name.
· Sangeet Martand Pandit Jasraj is an exponent of Indian classical vocal music. Jasraj is the recipient of numerous awards, honours, and titles, including the prestigious Padma Vibhushan and the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award.
2. Suresh Chitturi appointed International Egg Commission chief
Suresh Chitturi, Vice Chairman and Managing Director of India’s leading poultry firm Srinivasa Farms, has been appointed as chairman of the International Egg Commission(IEC) for the next two years.
· The appointment was made at the IEC Global Leadership Conference in Copenhagen in Denmark.
· He will be the first chair from Asia in the history of the institution, as he assumes the role of the Chairman of IEC.
3. Tapan Mishra honoured with the National Tourism Award
Odisha’s Tapan Kumar Mishra has been honoured with the National Tourism Award for the Category of “Best Tourist Guide” for the year 2017-18 during celebration of the World Tourism Day.
· He is a freelance Tourist Guide approved by the Union Ministry of Tourism.
· Tapan Kumar Mishra has the rarest achievement of accompanying a single Belgian tourist for 965 days in a span of 8 years in which he has covered 26 States out of which 15 states twice on road from Odisha covering more than one lakh km.
4. Kallie Puri awarded with “India’s Most Powerful Women in Media”
India’s Kallie Puri has been awarded with “India’s Most Powerful Women in Media” award at the famed Confluence Excellence Awards.
· She received the prestigious award at the British Parliament. She is the Vice-Chairperson of the India Today Group.
5. Documentary on Real Kashmir FC nominated for BAFTA Awards
A documentary on Srinagar-based football club Real Kashmir FC has nominated in the prestigious British Academy Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards.
· The documentary, aired by BBC Scotland earlier this year on the journey of former Rangers ace David Robertson at the helm of Real Kashmir FC, has been nominated in two categories.
· Its director Greg Clark has picked up a nod for the ‘Director Factual’ category, while the show will battle it out in the ‘Single Documentary’ category.
6. Thanu Padmanabhan gets MP Birla Memorial Award
Physicist Thanu Padmanabhan received the M P Birla Memorial Award 2019 for his contributions to the world of cosmology.
· He is a professor of Inter-university Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics in Pune.
· The award was introduced in 1993 in recognition to the excellence in research in Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Science and related areas.
7. INDO-KAZAKHSTAN Joint Military Exercise KAZIND 2019
Joint Military Exercise KAZIND-2019 between India and Kazakhstan will be conducted at Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand.
· The exercise will comprise of nearly 100 soldiers from both Indian and Kazakhstan Army who would be sharing their experience gained during conduct of various counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in the past.
· Exercise KAZIND-2019 is the 4th edition of an annual event which is conducted alternatively in Kazakhstan and India.
· The aim of this exercise is to conduct company level joint training with an emphasis on counter-terrorism operations in mountainous terrain.
· During the exercise, aspects of emerging trends of global terrorism and hybrid warfare have also been included. The joint military exercise will enhance the level of defence cooperation further fostering bilateral relations between the two nations.
Summit and Conferences
8. 31st International Conference on Sindh held in London
The World Sindhi Congress (WSC) hosted a 31st international conference on Sindh in London.
· In WSC the participants highlighted issues such as enforced disappearances of activists, human rights violations and forced conversion of religious minorities in Pakistan.
· The 31st International Conference on Sindh slammed Pakistan over its failure to respect democratic rights and curbs on by the country’s military and called on the need to tackle growing religious extremism.
9. 7th World Hindu Economic Forum (WHEF) 2019 held in Mumbai, Maharashtra
7th World Hindu Economic Forum (WHEF) 2019 held in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
· The theme of (WHEF) 2019 “Prosperous Society: Stronger Society” to bring together financially successful members in Hindu society such as traders, bankers, technocrats, investors, industrialists to share business knowledge, expertise and resources with their fellow brethren.
· The World Hindu Economic Forum has earlier been organised in London, Chicago, Losa Angeles, Hong Kong, and Nairobi.
10. Aryna Sabalenka wins WTA Wuhan Open
Aryna Sabalenka has won the WTA Wuhan Open held in Wuhan, China.
· She became the first player to claim back-to-back titles in Wuhan. She defeated American Alison Riske in the summit clash by 6-3, 3-6, 6-1.
· She has also joined Petra Kvitova as the only two-time Wuhan Open champion.
11. Sumit Nagal wins title at ATP Challenger Tournament
Indian tennis player Sumit Nagal has won the men’s singles title at the ATP Challenger Tournament held in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
· He defeated Argentina’s Facundo Bognis by 6-4, 6-2 to win the title. It was Sumit’s second Challenger title of his career, following the triumph in the Bengaluru Challenger event in 2017.
· He jumped of 26 spots to achieve a career-best ranking of 135.
12. Veteran actor Viju Khote best known as Kalia from Sholay passes away
Veteran Bollywood actor Viju Khote passed away. The actor best is remembered for his role as Kalia in the cult classic Sholay. He worked in over 300 Hindi and Marathi films. He has been working in film since 1964. Apart from Sholay, he was remembered for his roles in films like Andaz Apna Apna, in which he starred as Robert.
13. Former Foreign Secretary KPS Menon (Junior) passes away
Former diplomat KPS Menon (junior) passed away. He was a 1951 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer.
· He had served as the Foreign Secretary of India from 1987 to 1989. He served as an ambassador to various countries, including Bangladesh, Egypt, Japan and China.
14. International Day for Universal Access to Information: 28 September
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) observes International Day for Universal Access to Information (IDUAI) on 28 September every year. The IDUAI has particular relevance with Agenda 2030 with specific reference to:
· SDG 2 on investment in rural infrastructure and technology development
· SDG 11 on positive economic, social and environmental links between urban, peri-urban and rural areas
· SDG 16 on initiatives to adopt and implement constitutional, statutory and/or policy guarantees for public access to information
· The theme of this year’s celebration: Leaving No One Behind!
· UNESCO is commemorating the International Day for Universal Access to Information with a series of ‘Open Talks’ to be held in Lima, Peru.
15. World Rabies Day: 28 September
The World Health Organization observes World Rabies Day on 28 September every year.
· The day is celebrated annually to raise awareness about rabies prevention and to highlight progress in defeating this horrifying disease.
· The day also marks the anniversary of Louis Pasteur’s death, the French chemist and microbiologist, who developed the first rabies vaccine.
16. International Translation Day: 30 September
The United Nations observes International Translation Day on 30 September every year.
· International Translation Day is meant as an opportunity to pay tribute to the work of language professionals, which plays an important role in bringing nations together, facilitating dialogue, understanding and cooperation, contributing to development and strengthening world peace and security.
· On 24 May 2017, the General Assembly adopted resolution 71/288 on the role of language professionals in connecting nations and fostering peace, understanding and development, and declared 30 September as International Translation Day.
17. World Heart Day 2019 observed on September 29
World Heart Day (WHD) was observed annually on 29 September across the world.
· The day which is celebrated annually creates awareness of Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) including heart disease & stroke and highlights the preventive and control measures.
· It was launched in 2000 by the World Heart Federation as an annual event. The theme for the World Heart Day 2019 is “My Heart, Your Heart”.
18. Nepal Rastra Bank issues commemorative coins on 550th Birth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev
The Governor of Nepal Rastra Bank (NRB), Dr Chiranjibi Nepal & Indian Ambassador Manjeev Singh Puri have jointly released three coins (100, 1000 and 2500 Nepali rupees) bearing the Sikh symbol to commemorate the 550th Birth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev.
· A book titled “Sikh Heritage of Nepal” based on the Sikh heritage of Nepal was also launched in the program. This book has been published by BP Koirala India-Nepal Foundation in association with the Indian Embassy in Nepal.
Published on 27th Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Exhibition of India Tourism Mart 2019 inaugurated
The Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism (Independent Charge), inaugurated the exhibition of India Tourism Mart (ITM) 2019 in New Delhi.
2. Japan Launches “World’s Biggest Transport Space Ship” For Space Station
Japan launched an unmanned H-2B rocket towards the International Space Station.
3. UP govt. announces ₹6,000 annual aid for triple talaq victims
Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Yogi Adityanath announced an annual support of ₹6,000 to the victims of triple talaq till their rehabilitation and they will get free legal aid.
Schemes and Committees
6. Centre approves construction of 1.23 lakh houses under PMAY-Urban
The Indian government has approved the construction of 1.23 lakh houses under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban).
7. Payal Jangid becomes the first Indian to receive the Changemaker Award 2019
Rajasthan’s Payal Jangid, aged 17, became the first Indian to receive the Changemaker Award 2019 at the Goalkeepers Global Goals Awards 2019.
8. Army Chief Gen Bipin Rawat to be new Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee
Army chief Gen Bipin Rawat will take over as the new Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee.
Books and Authors
9. Pranab Mukherjee launches the book titled ‘Reset: Regaining India’s Economic Legacy’
Former president Pranab Mukherjee released a book named ‘Reset: Regaining India’s Economic Legacy’.
·The book was written by BJP MP Subramanian Swamy that tracks the country’s economic development over the years and offers solutions for future growth. The book has been published by Rupa Publications India.
11. Former French President Jacques Chirac passes away
Former French President Jacques Chirac passed away. He was two-term French president (1995-2007) who was the first leader to acknowledge France’s role in the Holocaust and defiantly opposed the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003. He also served as the Prime Minister of France.
12. World Tourism Day: 27 September
The United Nations observes 27 September every year as World Tourism Day.
13. Global Goals Jam 3.0 hosted by World University of Design
World University of Design (WUD) hosted Global Goals Jam 3.0. The Indian edition of the global event focusing on design thinking and service design methodologies was hosted with the theme: eWaste.
14. Bangladesh lifts ban on Hilsa export to India
Bangladesh has lifted the ban on the exports of Hilsa fish to India as a goodwill gesture during the Durga Puja.
·Bangladesh will allow 500 tonnes of Hilsa fish for the occasion as a one time arrangement.
·Export of the popular Hilsa or ‘Ilish’ fish from Bangladesh was banned in 2012 after local business establishments called for controlling the price of fishes.
·Bangladesh accounts for nearly 75 percent of world Hilsa production and nearly 2 million people get direct and indirect employment from its cultivation.
Published on 26th Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. ADB cuts India growth forecast to 6.5% for 2019-20
The Asian Development Bank has slashed its growth forecast for India for fiscal year 2019-20 to 6.5% from 7%.
· The bank lowered the growth rate because of weaker growth in the first quarter due to a slowdown in consumption and investment activities that hit manufacturing and service sectors.
2. J&K becomes first state to issue highest number of golden cards under Ayushman Bharat scheme
Jammu and Kashmir has become the first state in the country to issue the highest number of golden cards under Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY).
3. IMF elects Bulgaria’s Kristalina Georgieva as its new chief
Bulgarian economist Kristalina Georgieva has been selected as the new Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund. She will succeed Christine Lagarde.
·Kristalina Georgieva had previously served as the chief executive of the World Bank. She will also become the first person from an emerging economy to lead the IMF.
4. Adille Sumariwalla re-elected as member of IAAF Council
Adille Sumariwalla has been elected as the member of the International Association of Athletics Federations council..
5. Visa appoints PV Sindhu as brand ambassador
Payment technology company Visa announced that it has signed up world badminton champion Pusarla Venkata Sindhu (PV Sindhu) as its brand ambassador for two years.
·Besides promoting the brand through advertising campaigns, Sindhu has also become an athlete member of Team Visa for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.
6. EC appoints Madhuri Dixit as goodwill ambassador for Maharashtra Assembly polls
Actor Madhuri Dixit has been chosen as “goodwill ambassador” by the Chief Electoral Office in Maharashtra to create awareness among people about the importance of voting.
Science and Technology
8. India International Science Festival to be held in Kolkata
The 5th edition of India International Science Festival (IISF) will be held in Kolkata from November 5-8. IISF is the largest science festival in the world.
·The focus will be on youth to inspire and motivate them to learn real science in motion. The theme for this year’s festival is ‘RISEN India – Research, Innovation, and Science Empowering the Nation’.
Schemes and Committees
9. Assam Govt launches “Aponar Apon Ghar” scheme
The Assam Government has launched a housing loan subsidy scheme “Aponar Apon Ghar”. The scheme was launched to provide financial assistance on purchase or construction of the first house for a family.
·The subsidy of up to Rs 250000 will be provided for loan amounts from Rs 5,00,000 to Rs 40,00,000. The above scheme is meant for the loan sanctioned in this financial year. The initiative is expected to provide impetus to the economy and led to the expansion of real estate in the state.
·The state government also launched education loan interest subsidy wherein subsidy will be provided to children who have availed education loan for pursuing higher education. The one time subsidy will be of Rs 50,000..
12. P.T. Usha honoured with IAAF Veteran Pin
Indian track and field legend P. T. Usha was presented the Veteran Pin by the world athletics governing body, in recognition of her contribution to the growth of the sport.
·International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) chief Sebastian Coe presented her the Veteran Pin during the 52nd IAAF Congress..
14. International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons: 26 September
The United Nations observes 26 September every year as the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons..
15. World Maritime Day: 26 September
The United Nations observes 26 September every year as the World Maritime Day.
·This year the theme for the day is: Empowering women in the maritime community.
·The theme for this years’ World Maritime Day provides an opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of gender equality, in line with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals, and to highlight the important yet under-utilized contribution of women within the maritime sector.
16. Agriculture Minister launches CHC Farm Machinery and KrishiKisan App
Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare launched 2 mobile apps named CHC Farm Machinery and KrishiKisan App for geotagging purposes in for easy access of technical agricultural equipment at farmers’ doorstep.
·The government launched a multilingual app-based service CHC Farm Machinery for Custom Hiring Centres (CHCs). This service will facilitate local farmers with the use of shared resources including tractors and other farm machinery at affordable prices.Through KrishiKisan App, the farmer will be provided with information about high-yielding crops and seeds in their nearby area. It helps in geo-tagging and geo-fencing of crop and also gives weather forecast messages to farmers
Published on 25th Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. PM Modi Inaugurates Gandhi Solar Park at UN Headquarters
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated a 50 kilowatt ‘Gandhi Solar Park’ at the UN headquarters.
·PM Modi and other leaders also released a commemorative postage stamp of Mahatma Gandhi, at the programme ”Relevance of Mahatma Gandhi in the Contemporary World” at the UN headquarters.
2. President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurates India Water Week, 2019
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the sixth ”India Water Week-2019” being organised with the theme of ”Water cooperation-coping with 21st-century challenge’ at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
4. RBI places withdrawal curbs on depositors of PMC Bank
The Reserve Bank of India has imposed restrictions on Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative Bank, under which the depositors cannot withdraw more than Rs 1,000 from their accounts.
·The depositors will be allowed to withdraw a sum not exceeding Rs 1,000 of the total balance in every savings bank account or current account or any other deposit account.
·The curbs will remain for six months. PMC Bank has also been barred from making fresh loans and taking deposits.
·PMC Bank is a multi-State scheduled urban co-operative bank with operations in the states of Maharashtra, Delhi, Karnataka, Goa, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
8. SBI Life Insurance signs corporate agency pact with Repco Home Finance
SBI Life Insurance has signed a corporate agency agreement with city-based Repco Home Finance Ltd to offer the company’s range of products to RHFL customers.
·According to the agreement, the partnership would see over 148 branches and 27 satellite centres of RHFL spread across the country to offer SBI Life Insurance products to its customers.
9. PM Narendra Modi receives Global Goalkeeper Award
Prime Minister Narendra Modi received the 2019 Global Goalkeeper Award.
·He received the award for Swachh Bharat Mission from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
·Swachh Bharat Mission was launched on October 2, 2014, aims to accelerate the efforts to achieve universal sanitation coverage in the country.
·Global Goalkeeper Award is a “special recognition” by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
·The award celebrates a political leader who has “demonstrated their commitment to the Global Goals through impactful work in their country.
11. Amitabh Bachchan to be honoured with Dada Saheb Phalke award
The country’s highest film honour, the Dadasaheb Phalke award, will be presented this year to Amitabh Bachchan.
·This award is given for his outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian cinema.
·The Dadasaheb Phalke award comprises a Swarna Kamal (Golden Lotus), a shawl and a cash prize of ₹1,000,000.
12. India-US Tri-Services ”Exercise Tiger Triumph” to be held in November
India and the United States are set to hold their first tri-services exercise code-named “Tiger Triumph” at Visakhapatnam and Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh in November this year.
·The plan for this exercise was discussed during the Final Planning Conference (FPC) for India-US Tri-Services Humanitarian Aid and Disaster Relief (HADR) concluded at Headquarters Eastern Naval Command.
·For the first time, the US and India will be holding the tri-service military exercise. India earlier conducted such tri-service exercise with Russia.
·The announcement for the ‘Tiger Triumph’ was made by US President Donald Trump during the ‘Howdy Modi!’ event in America.
14. ICGS ‘Varaha’ commissioned by Defense Minister Rajnath Singh
Defense Minister Rajnath Singh has formally commissioned the Indian Coast Guard offshore patrol vessel ‘Varaha’ at the Chennai Port Trust.
Schemes and Committees
15. Union Home Minister launches ‘Private Security Agency Licensing Portal’
The Union Home Minister Amit Shah has launched a single-window system ‘Private Security Agency Licensing Portal’. The single-window system will be used for issuing licences to private security agencies.
16. Indian chess player Koneru Hampi wins the Skolkova Fides Grand Prix title 2019
Indian chess grandmaster, Koneru Hampi of Gudivada ( Andhra Pradesh) has clinched Fide World Grand Prix 2019 title with 8 points from 11 rounds in Skolkovo, Russia.
17. Manipur wins Senior Women’s National Football Championship
Manipur defeated Railways by 1-0 to win the Senior Women’s National Football Championship held in Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh. This was Manipur’s 20th National title.
Published on 24th Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) of Gujarat
The Gujarat government has launched country’s first ‘Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)’ which is being described as world’s first market for trading in Particulate Matter (PM) emissions. ETS was launched in Surat ETS) to encourage and incentivize the industrial units to cut air pollution.
Ponung Doming – First woman officer from Arunachal Pradesh to become Lieutenant Colonel In Indian Army
Ponung Doming is the first lady officer from Arunachal Pradesh in the Indian army to be elevated to the rank of Lieutenant colonel. She was commissioned into the Indian army as Lieutenant in 2008. She is currently posted in Pune, Maharashtra. Doming had completed her graduation in civil engineering. She served the UN Peace keeping force in Congo in 2014.
Vice President inaugurates 150th Birth Anniversary celebrations of Vaidyaratnam P.S. Warrier
At Kottal in Kerala, vice President Shri Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Vaidyaratnam P.S. Varier. He emphasized the importance of Ayurvedic medicine and Atharva Veda at the event.
71st Primetime Emmy Awards – 2019: Key Winners
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards ceremony was held on 22 September 2019, at the Microsoft Theater in Downtown Los Angeles, California, US. The annual award honored the best in U.S. prime time TV programmes from 1 June 2018 until 31 May 2019. The awards are chosen by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
Published on 23rd Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Maharashtra, Haryana Assembly Elections held on 21st October -
Maharashtra and Haryana Assembly (Vidhan Sabha) Election 2019 Date, Scheduled on 21st October, while counting of votes will be held on October 24.
2. Madhukar Kamath elected as chairman of the ABC (2019-20) -
Madhukar Kamath was elected as the chairman of the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) for 2019-20.
He has also been the president of Advertising Agencies Association of India.
3. CBDT sets up NeAC & appoints KM Prasad as first Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax of NeAC -
Central Board of Direct Tax(CBDT) has newly set up National e-Assessment Centre (NeAC) in Delhi..
· CBDT has also appointed 1984 batch Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer Krishna Mohan Prasad as the first Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax of NeAC.
· The Centre will have 16 officials and will be headed by a Principal Chief Commissioner of Income-tax (PCCIT) as its chief.
4. Max Bupa and Indian Bank signed bancassurance tie-up for health insurance solutions -
Indian Bank has signed a bancassurance agreement with a standalone health insurance player, Max Bupa to provide Max Bupa’s suite of health insurance products to its customers.
5. Kerala Tourism receives three PATA Gold Awards -
Kerala Tourism has won three prestigious Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Gold awards in Nur-Sultan (Astana), Kazakhstan.
· The awards are given for an ethnic food restaurant run by women at Kumarakom(Kerala) under its Responsible Tourism(RT) mission, the second one for Kerala tourism campaign advertisement ‘Come Out and Play’ and the third one was for its website www.keralatourism.org. This year(2019), Kerala Tourism won the highest number of PATA awards in the South Asia region.
6. Rahul Aware wins bronze in 61 kg free-style category at World C’ship -
Indian wrestler Rahul Aware has won a bronze medal in men’s 61-kilogram freestyle category at the World Championship in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
· He beat 17th seeded American Tyler Lee Graff 11-4 to ensure he finished on the podium. It was India’s fifth medal at this edition of the World Championships with a total haul of 1 silver and 4 bronzes.
7. Amit Panghal settles with historic silver in World Championships -
Amit Panghal settled for the silver medal at World Boxing Championships after he lost to Uzbekistan’s Shakhobidin Zoirov 3-2 in the 52kg category final.
· He became the first Indian male pugilist to win a silver in World Championships at Ekaterinburg in Russia.
8. Veteran actor and multi-faceted artiste S.K. Padmadevi passes away -
Veteran actor and multi-faceted artiste S.K. Padmadevi passed away. she was part of the first Kannada talkie film ‘Bhakta Dhruva’ (1934).
· She also starred in ‘Samsara Nouke’, first Kannada social film (1936).
· She was the recipient of R. Nagendra Rao award for lifetime achievement by Karnataka Chalanchitra Academy in 2016.
Published on 22nd Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
Gully Boy: India's official entry for the Oscars –
• Gully Boy has been nominated as India's official entry for the 92nd Oscars. It was directed by Zoya Akhtar.
• Gully Boy features its main character Ranveer Singh as an aspiring rapper who struggles a lot to become successful.
• Earlier, in 23rd Bucheon International Fantastic Film Festival (BIFAN), Gully Boy had received the Promotion of Asian Cinema (NETPAC) Award held at South Korea.
Sebastian Vettel wins Singapore Grand Prix
• Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel has recently won Singapore Grand Prix 2.641 seconds ahead of teammate Charles Leclerc.
• It was Vettel’s fifth Grand Prix victory in Singapore. However, Max Verstappen of Red Bull team was third and Lewis Hamilton was fourth.
• Mercedes’ driver Valtteri Bottas finished fifth, Red Bull’s Alexander Albon sixth and Lando Norris finished seventh.
International Day of Sign Languages
• International Day of Sign Languages (IDSL) 2019 is being observed today across the globe with an objective to raise awareness of the importance of sign languages.
• The theme of Sign languages Day 2019 is – Sign Language Rights for All.
• Sign Language Day is observed across the globe with various events and celebrations. Thaawarchand Gehlot, Social Justice and Empowerment Minister, distributed awards to the winners of the Second Indian Sign Language Competition 2019.
2019 is hottest year ever: UN Report
Published on 21st Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. NTPC to build India’s biggest solar park in Gujarat
India’s National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC) plans to set up a 5-gigawatt solar park in the western state of Gujarat, which would be the biggest in the country.
· As the top electricity generator shifts toward cleaner energy, which is expected to cost as much as 250 billion rupees ($3.5 billion) and begin operations by 2024.
· The plan is part of NTPC’s aim to reduce the share of fossil fuels in the energy mix to 70% from around 96% by 2032.
2. Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal launched ‘champions campaign’ against dengue
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched “Champions Campaign” to fight dengue and urged citizens to become ‘champions’ and encourage 10 friends to check their homes for mosquito larvae. Earlier, he had also launched 10Hafte 10Baje 10Minute campaign.
· He had urged the Delhi residents to give 10 minutes every Sunday to check the surroundings to prevent the breeding of dengue-carrier mosquitoes.
3. IDBI Bank appoints Samuel Joseph as Deputy Managing Director
IDBI Bank’s Board of Directors has approved the appointment of Samuel Joseph Jebaraj as Deputy Managing Director (DMD) for a period of 3 years.
· He currently serves as Chief General Manager of the Loan Administration and Human Resources Management Groups of the Bank.
· The decision has been taken as per the approval received by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). This is the first major appointment on the Bank’s Board, in which LIC acquired a majority stake of 51 per cent in January 2019..
4. DSCI, MeitY and Google India join hands for ‘Digital Payment Abhiyan’
Nasscom’s Data Security Council of India (DSCI) collaborated with the electronics and IT ministry (MeitY) and Google India to launch a nationwide awareness campaign ‘Digital Payment Abhiyan’.
· Communications and Electronics & IT Minister launched the campaign that will educate end-users on the benefits of making digital payments and urge them to adopt security and safety best practices.
· The campaign was launched at the Google for India event. To drive the campaign objectives and amplify outreach to users across all states, DSCI has onboarded various digital payments, ecosystem partners.
· These partners include representation from banking, card networks as well as a fin-tech segment.
5. 20th Edition of IIFA Awards 2019
The 20th Edition of NEXA International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA Awards) for 2019 was held at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Indoor Stadium, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Here’s the complete list of winers:
Best Actor in a leading role (Female)
Alia Bhatt (Raazi)
Best Actor in a leading role (Male)
Ranveer Singh (Padmaavat)
6. Bajrang Punia won bronze medal at World Wrestling Championships
Bajrang Punia won a bronze medal at the 2019 World Wrestling Championships in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
· He defeated Mongolia’s Tulga Tumur Ochir 8-7 to clinch the medal in the 65 kg weight category.
· This is Bajrang’s second consecutive World Championship medal after his silver at Budapest 2018. This is also his third medal at the senior World’s with his first coming in 2013.
Books and Authors
7. A new book titled “Being Gandhi” by Paro Anand to mark Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary
A new book titled “Being Gandhi” written by award-winning author Paro Anand released. It marks the 150th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The book, published by Harper Collins Children’s Books, explores the life events of Gandhiji.
10. International Day of Peace 21 September
Each year the International Day of Peace is observed around the world on 21 September.
· The General Assembly has declared this as a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace, both within and among all nations and peoples.
· The theme for International Day of Peace 2019 is “Climate Action for Peace”. The theme draws attention to the importance of combatting climate change as a way to protect and promote peace throughout the world.
11. 16th Session of the Joint Economic Commission between India-BLEU
The 16th Session of the Joint Economic Commission (JEC) between India and Belgium Luxembourg Economic Union (BLEU) was held in New Delhi.
· The Joint Economic Commission between India and Belgium Luxembourg Economic Union (India-BLEU) was established in 1997 and is the main vehicle for discussing bilateral economic and commercial issues.The importance of JEC between India and BLEU was reiterated & both sides negotiate cooperation on a wide range of issues of mutual interest, such as, transportation and logistics, renewable energy, aerospace and satellites, audio and visual industry, agro and food processing industry, life sciences, ICT(Information and communications technology), traditional medicine, Ayurveda and yoga, and tourism.
Published on 20th Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Google announces new AI research lab in India
Google has announced that it will open an artificial intelligence (AI) based research lab “Google Research India“.
·The lab will be opened in Bengaluru. The Indian AI lab will be led by Dr. Manish Gupta, a renowned computer scientist in the country.
·Google has various AI research labs across the world, under its Google Artificial Intelligence arm
2. India’s first central police university to come up in Greater Noida
The country’s first central police university will be set up by the Union home ministry off the Yamuna Expressway in Greater Noida.
·The Centre had given in-principle approval for the university and a 100-acre plot has been identified in Sector Techzone.
·The government wants to set up an institution to tackle modern-day policing challenges. The national university for policing will help in improving police personnel training, skills, research and also policymaking with regard to policing in India.
3. Union HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank launches WAWE Summit 2019
Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has launched Waste Management Accelerator for Aspiring Women Entrepreneurs (WAWE) summit.
·It will be jointly organized by All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and Institute of Waste Management (IIWM) at Jaipur.
·This initiative stating that it will empower women and encourage entrepreneurship among youngsters. WAWE Summit 2019 is a great initiative for women who have skills in their hands and it will further empower and motivate them.
4. Telecom body approves Rs 8500 crore for mobile towers & optical fibres
The Digital Communication Commission, the highest decision making body in the Department of Telecom has approved multiple projects worth over Rs 8,500 crore.
·The projects aims to set up mobile towers and laying of optical fibre, with an aim to provide improved connectivity. The commission also approved a special scheme to cover upto 12,000 uncovered villages in aspirational districts.
·The approved infra projects include laying of BharatNet fibre in Tamil Nadu and Telangana, at an estimated cost of Rs 1,815 crore and Rs 2,065 crore. The projects also includes setting up of 1,917 mobile towers for uncovered villages in the North East.
5. RKS Bhadauria is new IAF Chief
The central Government has appointed Vice Chief of the Indian Air Force (IAF) Air Marshal RKS Bhadauria as the next Chief of Air Staff (CAS). He will take over on 30th September.
·He will have a two-year tenure. Mr. Bhadauria had played a key role in the negotiations for the deal with France for 36 Rafale jets.
·Present IAF Chief and Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee Air Chief Marshal B.S. Dhanoa is set to retire on September 30.
·Mr. Bhadauria also served as the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Southern Air Command and, prior to the present appointment, he was the Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Training Command.
6. Skill India sign agreement with IBM for Train-the-Trainer programme in AI
The Directorate General of Training (DGT), under the skill development and entrepreneurship ministry, has signed an agreement with IT major IBM to carry out a nationwide Train-the-Trainer programme in basic artificial intelligence.
·As part of the programme, ITI trainers will be trained on basic artificial intelligence (AI) skills towards using technology in their day-to-day training activities.
·This programme aims at enabling the trainers with the basic approach, workflow and application of artificial intelligence that they can apply in their training modules.
7. Public Sector Banks to organise ‘loan melas’ in 400 districts
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has announced that Public Sector Banks will organise ‘loan melas’ or “Shamiana meetings” in 400 districts.
·The meetings will be organised to provide loans to NBFCs and retail borrowers, including homebuyers and farmers.
·PSBs will focus on giving loans to the ‘RAM‘ category: retail, agriculture and MSMEs. The open house public meetings will be held in two tranches.
·The first will be held between October 3 and 7 in 200 districts, while the remaining 200 will be covered October 11 onwards.
·She also announced that no MSME stressed loan would be classified as an NPA until March 31, 2020.
8. Airtel Payments Bank launches ‘Bharosa’ savings account
Airtel Payments Bank launched “Bharosa savings account” services, designed for deepening the financial inclusion in the country. This service enables customers to withdraw cash, check their balance or access a mini statement of their account at over 6,50,000 Aadhaar-enabled payment system (AePS) enabled outlets across India.
·Bharosa savings account would offer Rs 5 lakh personal accident insurance on maintaining the balance of Rs 500 along with one debit transaction per month. Customers would also be eligible for cashback, if they decided to receive government subsidies in their Bharosa account or if they made cash deposits in it.
9. Indian army conducts exercise ‘Chang Thang’ in Eastern Ladakh
The Indian Army conducted a massive rare exercise ‘Chang Thang’ in Eastern Ladakh bordering China.
·The exercise involved the use of infantry, mechanised forces, T-72 tanks, with force multipliers such as artillery guns and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.
·The Indian Air Force was also roped in the exercise. This is the first time such kind of exercise has happened in the region.
10. World Bamboo Day : September 18
World Bamboo Day is observed every year on the 18th of September by the World Bamboo Organization to generate awareness about conserving and promoting the bamboo industry.
·Bamboo is known as poor man’s timber, bamboo is omnipresent in tribal cultures and community living.
·India is the world’s second-largest cultivator of bamboo after China, with 136 species and 23 genera spread over 13.96 million hectares, according to the State of Environment report 2018.
Telangana to celebrate 2020 as Year of AI
The Telangana government has decided to declare 2020 as Artificial Intelligence year by organising various activities related to the emerging technology.
·A lot of hackathons and meetings will happen and the government agencies will give challenges and make available data sets on which you (companies) can run algorithms.
Published on 19th Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. GoI inaugurates 15 power projects in Jammu & Kashmir
Union Minister of State for Power RK Singh and Jammu and Kashmir Governor Satya Pal Malik have jointly inaugurated 15 power projects.
·They also laid the foundation stone for 20 other different Centrally-sponsored schemes in Srinagar.
·Under a scheme, 1 lakh LED (light-emitting diode) street lights will be installed in Srinagar city, saving ₹29 crores annually to the Srinagar Municipal Corporation. The government is working to ensure 24 hours electricity supply to all the citizens of the country, including in Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh region.
2. International Workshop for National Water Museum
The Jal Shakti Ministry is planning to develop a National Water Museum to increase awareness among people on the conservation of the natural resource.
·The Jal Shakti Ministry is also organising an International Workshop which will be attended by experts from India and abroad.
·The outcome of the workshop will be a blueprint for establishing the proposed National Water Museum under the aegis of Jal Shakti Ministry.
·During the workshop, possible broad composition, the content of the museum including highlighting importance of water and its current state in different regions of the country, possible solutions, traditional and modern water management practices and localised success stories are proposed to be discussed.
3. India Post expands speed post service to 6 new foreign countries
India Post expanded speed post service to six new foreign destinations in Asia, Europe and South America.
·The Department of Posts has announced commencing of International Speed Post (EMS) Service to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Ecuador, Kazakhstan, Lithuania and North Macedonia.
·EMS or Express Mail Service is a premium service that enables its users to send documents and merchandise faster and with the added facility of being able to track the movement of the item on the internet.
·This facility is expected to augment people to people contact with these countries and foster trade as EMS is a popular channel for small and medium enterprises.
·The EMS service to these countries will henceforth be available at major Post offices across India.
4. Delhi Police’s launches Tatpar app for citizen-centric servicesr
Delhi Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal launched ‘Tatpar’ app, developed by the Delhi Police, which is a one-stop destination for access to over 50 citizen-centric services.
·The app amalgamates all the websites and mobile applications of Delhi Police, and over 50 services which can now be accessed with a single touch in the app.
·Through the app, citizens can navigate to their nearest police station, traffic pit and prepaid taxi booth. On a single touch, the user will be provided with the directions as well as the complete contact details of the concerned Station House Officer (SHO) of a police station.
ADB president Takehiko Nakao resigns
Asian Development Bank (ADB) President Takehiko Nakao has announced his resignation. He became the president of ADB on April 28, 2013.
·He expanded the operations of the funding agency from USD 14 billion in 2013 to USD 22 billion in 2018.
·He also ushered in the merger of Ordinary Capital Resources and concessional lending operation of the Asian Development Fund (ADF) and steered the launch of ‘Strategy 2030.
·The new president will be elected in accordance with an open, transparent and merit-based procedure.
GoI Appoints Four Supreme Court Judges
The Centre has cleared four names recommended by the Supreme Court Collegium for elevation as judges of the apex court. The four appointed judges are
·Himachal Pradesh High Court: Chief Justice V. Ramasubramanian
·Punjab and Haryana High Court: Chief Justice Krishna Murari
·Rajasthan High Court: Chief Justice S. Ravindra Bhat
·Kerala High Court: Chief Justice Hrishikesh Roy
The Supreme Court vacancies had increased its judicial strength from 31 to 34 following the enactment of the Supreme Court (Number of Judges) Bill of 2019.
7. Robert O’Brien becomes National Security Adviser of US
Robert O’Brien has been appointed as the National Security Adviser of United States of America.
·Robert O’Brien will replace John Bolton as the NSA of US.
·Robert O’Brien has had a long career in foreign policy working for both main US parties and currently heading the hostage negotiations at the State Department.
9. Anand Kumar felicitated with Education Excellence Award 2019
Super 30 founder and noted mathematician Anand Kumar has been felicitated in the US with a prestigious Education Excellence Award 2019.
·The Foundation For Excellence (FFE) awarded him on the occasion of the organisation’s 25th anniversary.
·Anand has been running a highly innovative Super 30 programme for the last 18 years. He mentors 30 students free off cost through a year-long residential coaching for India’s premiere IIT-JEE.
11. Rajnath Singh becomes 1st Defence Minister to fly in LCA Tejas
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh becomes the first defence minister to fly in the indigenously-built light combat aircraft (LCA) Tejas. He flew in the Tejas fighter aircraft from the HAL airport in Bengaluru.
·Defence Minister was accompanied by Air Vice Marshal N Tiwari, who is also the Project Director, National Flight Test Centre, ADA (Aeronautical Development Agency) in Bengaluru.
Published on 18th Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. 5th International Ramayan Festival organized in New Delhi
The 5th International Ramayan Festival organized by Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR), in New Delhi. ICCR was established with the vision of propagating Indian culture and its values to the whole world.
· The Union Minister for Home Affairs, Amit Shah presided as Chief Guest over the 5th International Ramayan Festival.
· International Ramayan Festival is being organized for 5th year in a row, during which 17 countries have participated with their artists and rendered their versions of Ramayan.
· Ramayan is one such scripture that has transcended Personal, Societal, Religious, Cultural and National boundaries and reached a global audience.
2. Sri Lanka unveils South Asia’s tallest tower
Sri Lanka unveiled South Asia’s tallest tower, costing over $100 million, 80% of which has been funded by China under the controversial Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
· The 350-metre-tall 17-storey Lotus Tower, located in the heart of Colombo city.
· The tower spread over an area of 30,600 sq. metres. The project which began in 2012 under the then-president Mahinda Rajapakse..
State in News
3. Hyderabad-Karnataka Region Renamed ‘Kalyana Karnataka’
Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa announced that the Hyderabad-Karnataka region has been renamed as ‘Kalyana Karnataka’ and a separate secretariat would be established for its development.
· Hyderabad Karnataka region comprising six north-eastern districts of the State — Bidar, Kalaburagi, Yadgir, Raichur, Koppal and Ballari.
4. Arunachal Pradesh CM dedicates Dikshi Hydroelectric Project to people of state
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu dedicated the Dikshi Hydroelectric Project to the people of the state.
· The 24 Mega Watt Hydroelectric Project has been installed at Dikshi Village in West Kameng District. It is a Run of the River project constructed on the river Phudung by Devi Energies Private Limited.
· It was completed in a record time of four years with an investment of about 430 crore rupees. Government of Arunachal Pradesh is the sole beneficiary of the power generation from this project..
5. Kerala govt inks MoU with Maldives on cancer care
Kerala signs a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Maldives to strengthen cancer care in the island nation.
· The Kerala government and the Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) have jointly signed the MOU with the health ministry of Maldives as part of improving cooperation between the two countries.
· The MoU was signed between Maldivian Minister Abdulla Ameen and Kerala Health Minister KK Shylaja in the presence of the state Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan.
6. ISRO, DRDO sign MoUs to provide technologies for Human Space Mission
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) joined hands with Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the development of human-centric systems for the Human Space Mission to demonstrate its human space flight capabilities.
· The purpose behind the development is to provide technologies for human-centric systems and technologies specific to the Human Space Mission. ISRO aims to demonstrate human spaceflight capability before the 75th anniversary of India’s independence in 2022.
Wipro Infrastructure and BEML sign MoU
Defence PSU Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) and Wipro Infrastructure Engineering (WIN) have signed an MoU to work together in the areas of aerospace, industrial automation, 3-D printing, artificial intelligence and hydraulic system engineering.
· The MoU entails the two firms working together on projects, products, systems, services and projects for DRDO Labs and other government entities in India as well as overseas. Key focus areas include aerospace components and parts through SEZ, metal additive manufacturing and design optimization for new critical aggregates, legacy components & spares, and process automation.
8. Wing Commander Anjali Singh becomes India’s first female military diplomat
Wing Commander Anjali Singh has joined the Indian Embassy in Russia as India’s first female military diplomat to be posted in any of the Indian missions abroad.
· She has joined her new assignment as the Deputy Air Attache. She has served the Indian Air Force for 17 years and is trained on MiG-29 aircraft.
· An air attache is an Air Force officer who is part of a diplomatic mission this post is normally filled by a high-ranking officer.
9. V K Yadav, Chairman of Railway Board awarded with Eminent Engineers Award
The Union Minister for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship, Dr Mahendra Nath Pandey, awarded Vinod Kumar Yadav, Chairman of Railway Board with Eminent Engineers Award.
· The award was presented at the special event to mark the 52nd Engineers’ Day organised by the Institution of Engineers in New Delhi. The award was for his outstanding contributions in the field of engineering. The theme of 52nd Engineers’ Day was “Engineering for change”.
10. India successfully flight-tested indigenous air-to-air missile Astra
Indian Air Force has successfully flight-tested air-to-air missile Astra off the coast of Odisha. The missile was launched from a Sukhoi Su-30 MKI combat aircraft.
· The missile was tracked using radars, electro-optical tracking sensors and struck its target successfully.
· The missile has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the premier research and development organisation of the armed forces..
12. Documentary film based on life of Uttarakhand farmer nominated for Oscars
Moti Bagh, a documentary film based on the struggle of a farmer in a remote Uttarakhand village, has been nominated for the Oscars.
· The film, based on the life of Vidyadutt Sharma, a farmer living in Pauri Garhwal region, also won the 1st prize at the International short film festival in Kerala. This documentary film was directed by Nirmal Chandra Dandriyal.
13. US swimmer Sarah Thomas criss-crosses English Channel in 54-hour
American breast cancer survivor Sarah Thomas became the first person to swim across the English Channel four times non-stop in a 54-hour feat of endurance.
· She diagnosed with cancer a year ago. She said the hardest part of the swim was dealing with the saltwater, which left her throat and mouth sore.
Published on 17th Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. India’s 1st National Antimicrobial Resistance Hub set up in Kolkata
India’s first National Antimicrobial Resistance Hub was recently inaugurated in Kolkata.
·The Kolkata centre would be the hub for research on antibiotic resistance not only for the country but for the entire South Asia.
·The centre was jointly inaugurated by the ICMR, in association with the U.S. Consulate of Kolkata and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
2. India to fund 1000 PhD fellowships for ASEAN students at IITs
India has formally launched an initiative to fund 1000 scholars from South East Asian countries to pursue PhD at its 23 Indian Institutes of Technology.
·It is a joint initiative of the Ministry of External Affairs and the Human Resource Development. The scheme has an initial budget of Rs. 300 crore.
·The funding will cover the entire cost of study and living expenses for up to 5 years of a PhD programme. The admission portal for the programme would be executed by IIT Delhi.
3. Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorized Occupants) Amendment Bill, 2019 implemented
The Public Premises (Eviction of Unauthorized Occupants) Amendment Bill, 2019 has come into effect.
·The Bill will facilitate smooth and speedy eviction of unauthorized occupants from Government residential accommodations and ensure retrieval of these residential accommodations from unauthorized occupants.
·The Act confers powers upon the Estate Officers to evict such unauthorized occupants from public premises in a smooth, speedy and time-bound manner.
·As per the Amendment Act, the Estate officer will issue short Show cause notice of three days before eviction of the unauthorized occupant from Government accommodation.
5. GSTN makes Aadhaar verification mandatory for new dealers from Jan 2020
The Goods and Services Tax Network has decided to make Aadhaar authentication or physical verification mandatory for new dealers from January 2020.
·Those who do not want Aadhaar authentication, physical verification will be carried out, which will be completed in three days.
·The step has been taken to check malpractices in Goods and Services Tax. In the first phase, Aadhaar authentication will be mandatory for new dealers. Afterwards, all those enrolled on GSTN would be asked to provide their Aadhaar numbers.
Schemes and Committees
6. ECGC launches scheme “Nirvik” to ease the lending process
Ministry of Commerce & Industry through Export Credit Guarantee Corporation has introduced a new Export Credit Insurance Scheme called NIRVIK.
·The Niryat Rin Vikash Yojana has been launched to enhance loan availability to exporters and to ease the lending process. Under the new scheme NIRVIK, up to 90 per cent of the principal amount and interest will be covered through insurance.
·During the launch, Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal revealed that Central government will give support of Rs 8,500 crore to Export Credit Guarantee Corporation of India in the next 5 years.
8. Trilateral Exercise “SITMEX” Commences at Port Blair
A maiden trilateral exercise SITMEX, involving Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN), Royal Thailand Navy (RTN) and Indian Navy (IN) started at Port Blair.
·The exercise aims to bolster the maritime inter-relationships among the Singapore Thailand and India, and contribute significantly to enhance the overall maritime security in the region.
·This would also strengthen the mutual confidence amongst three navies in terms of interoperability and development of a common understanding of procedures.
Neena Gupta wins two awards at Boston Film Festival
Bollywood actor Neena Gupta has won 2 awards at Indian International Film Festival of Boston.
·The actress won the Best Actress award for ‘Badhaai Ho‘ and her film ‘The Last Color‘ emerged victorious in Best Feature Film category.
·‘The Last Color’ was directed by chef Vikas Khanna. The film deals with taboo surrounding widows in Vrindavan and Varanasi in India.
Agnes Kharshiing conferred the 11th International Hrant Dink Award
Meghalaya-based rights activist Agnes Kharshiing, who survived an assault by the coal mafia almost a year ago, received the 11th International Hrant Dink Award.
·She received the award along with Turkish activist against male violence, Nebahat Akkoc.
·The two activists were presented the award that commemorates the memory of Turkish-Armenian journalist Hrant Dink, who was killed in 2007, in Istanbul.
·The Hrant Dink Award is presented every year to individuals, organisations or groups that work for a world free from discrimination, racism and violence.
13. Former A.P. Assembly Speaker Kodela Siva Prasada Rao passes away
Former speaker of Andhra Pradesh Assembly Kodela Siva Prasada Rao passed away. He was a 6-time MLA elected to the Andhra Pradesh Assembly.
·He served as the Speaker of Andhra Pradesh Assembly from 2014 to 2019. He also served as a minister in the NT Rama Rao and Chandrababu Naidu governments of Andhra Pradesh.
Published on 16th Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Great Ganga Run 2019 flagged off in New Delhi
Jal Shakti Minister and Sports Minister flagged off “Great Ganga Run-2019″ at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi.
·The marathon was organised to create awareness about River Ganga. The marathon was organised by Ministry of Jal Shakti. A large number of people from all age groups participated in the marathon.
2. St. Vincent and Grenadines, 79th country to join India-led ISA
Saint Vincent and Grenadines became the 79th country to join the International Solar Alliance (ISA), an initiative by India aimed at combating the threats of climate change and global warming.
·The International Solar Alliance is a group of 121 solar resource-rich countries with headquarters in Gurugram, India. The organisation aims to deploy over 1,000 gigawatts of solar energy and mobilise more than USD 1,000 billion into solar power by 2030, according to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
3. MoC Ravi Shankar Prasad launches Maritime Communication Services in India
Union Minister for Communications, Electronics & Information Technology and Law & Justice Ravi Shankar Prasad has launched the Maritime Communication Services at Mumbai, Maharashtra.
·The Maritime Connectivity will enable high-end support to those in the sea by providing access to Voice, Data and Video services while travelling on sailing vessels, cruise liners, ships in India, using satellite technology.
·Nelco, India’s leading VSAT solutions provider is the first Indian company that will now provide quality broadband services to the maritime sector.
4. I&B Minister Prakash Javadekar flagged off Jaldoot vehicle in Pune
Union Minister for Environment and Forest and Information & Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar flagged off a Jaldoot vehicle a travelling exhibition in Pune, Maharashtra.
·The van carrying the ‘SAVE WATER’ message will travel to different parts of the state.
·To tackle the water crisis looming the country, the Government of India launched the ‘Jalshakti Abhiyan’, a water conservation campaign focusing on 1592 stressed blocks in 256 districts across the country.
5. Justice P Lakshmana Reddy appointed as first Lokayukta of Andhra Pradesh
Former judge of the Andhra Pradesh High Court P. Lakshmana Reddy, who has been appointed as State’s Lokayukta.
·He is known for his campaign against corruption. His oath to the office was administered by Governor Biswabhusan Hairchandan at a function held in Vijayawada.
·Justice P Lakshmana Reddy would serve in the office of Lokayukta for 5 years. He is the first Lokayukta to be assuming charge since the state bifurcated in 2014.
6. UN appoints Indian Army veteran Abhijit Guha as head of Hodeidah mission
United Nations Secretary-General appointed Lieutenant General (Retired) Abhijit Guha as the head of the UN mission in Hodeidah, Yemen.
·He will succeed Denmark Lieutenant General Michael Lollesgaard, who served in these posts. Guha brings to this position 39 years of national and international military experience.
·He served from 2009-2013 as the Deputy Military Adviser and the Military Adviser within the Office of Military Affairs of the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations, while also establishing the Office of Peacekeeping and Strategic Partnerships in 2013.
·The UN Mission in support of the Hodeidah Agreement (UNMHA), Guha will also assume the chair of the Redeployment Coordination Committee (RCC), tasked with redeploying forces of the Yemeni warring parties in accordance with their agreement.
7. First-ever ‘arrested landing’ of Naval Tejas successfully executed
DRDO and the Aeronautical Development Agency successfully executed the first-ever arrested landing of Light Combat Aircraft(LCA) Tejas (Navy) at the shore-based test facility in Goa.
·This is a step towards the aircraft getting operational on aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.
·This arrested landing heralds the arrival of true indigenous capability and displays the professional prowess of our scientific community Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) embedded with design plus build the capability of HAL(ARDC), Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
8. White Water Rafting Expedition ‘Rudrashila’ Flagged off at Jaisalmer
The White water Rafting Expedition christened ‘RUDRASHILA’ being undertaken by Kalidhar Battalion under the aegis of Battle Axe Division was Flagged Off at Jaisalmer Military station.
·The expedition christened ‘Rudrashila’ has been organised to commemorate the 75th Raising day of the Kalidhar Battalion.
·‘Rudrashila’ takes its name from the famed Rudraprayag tributary of the Ganges River in the Mountains of Uttarakhand.
·‘Kalidhar Battalion’ was raised on 01 November 1943 and has participated in all major operations of the Indian Army including two overseas assignments in Korea in 1953 and UN peacekeeping mission in Congo in 2005-06.
Ranks and Reports
9. Anurag Kashyap’s ‘Gangs Of Wasseypur’ in the Guardian Best 100 list
Filmmaker Anurag Kashyap’s Gangs Of Wasseypur has become the only Indian film to feature in “The Guardian” list of 100 Best Films of the 21st century. The film has bagged the 59th position.
·The two film Gangs Of Wasseypur series was released in 2012 and narrated the saga of a coal mafia family in the town of Wasseypur in Dhanbad district of Jharkhand.
·Both films were loved by the masses for their drama and rawness and acclaimed by the classes for cinematic aesthetics.
10. Pankaj Advani wins IBSF World Billiards Championship
Pankaj Advani defeated Nay Thway Oo to win the 150-up format at the IBSF World Billiards Championship held in Mandalay, Myanmar.
·This was his 4th straight victory in the final of the 150-up format at the IBSF World Billiards Championship. With this win, he has increased his tally of world titles to 22.
11. Sourabh Verma clinches Vietnam Open Super 100 title
Sourabh Verma has won the Vietnam Open Super 100 title held at the Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
·He defeated China’s Sun Fei Xiang in the thrilling Men’s Singles summit clash of Vietnam Open Super 100 title. He won the match with a score of 21-12, 17-2, 21-14.
12. Lakshya Sen wins Belgian International Badminton title
Indian Badminton star, Lakshya Sen has won the Belgian International badminton title. He defeated Victor Svendsen of Denmark in the summit clash with a score of 21-14, 21-15. The tournament was held in Leuven, Belgium. Lakshya Sen belongs to Almora, Uttarakhand.
13. India’s Kaushal Dharmamer wins Myanmar International Series
Indian shuttler Kaushal Dharmamer has won the Myanmar International Series.
·He defeated Indonesia’s Karono Karono by 18-21, 21-14, 21-11 in the finals.
·He has made a comeback after been troubled by injuries for almost two years.
14. Spain beats Argentina to win Basketball World Cup
Spain defeated Argentina by 95-75 to win the Basketball World Cup held in Beijing, China.
·This was its second title win after 13 years. The next world cup will held in 2023 in Japan, Indonesia and the Philippines.
·Spain had won the title last time in 2006 with a 70-47 win over Greece. Argentina had not triumphed since it hosted the inaugural World Cup in 1950. With 32 teams, this was the biggest Basketball World Cup ever.
15. International Day of Democracy: 15 September
The United Nations observes 15 September every year as International Day of Democracy.
·It is an opportunity to urge all governments to respect their citizens’ right to active, substantive and meaningful participation in democracy and to recall that democracy is about people.
·Democracy is built on inclusion, equal treatment and participation and it is a fundamental building block for peace, sustainable development and human rights.
·Theme of International Day of Democracy 2019: Participation.
16. International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer: 16 September
The United Nations observes 16 September every year as International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer.
·The ozone layer is a fragile shield of gas which protects the Earth from the harmful portion of the rays of the sun and thus help in preserving life on the planet.
·Theme of the day for 2019: 32 Years and Healing.
·The theme for this year celebrates over three decades of remarkable international cooperation to protect the ozone layer and the climate under the Montreal Protocol.
·The Montreal Protocol has led to the phase-out of 99 per cent of ozone-depleting chemicals in refrigerators, air-conditioners and many other products.
17. Film editor Sanjib Kumar Datta passes away
Film editor Sanjib Kumar Datta, who has movies like Iqbal, Ek Hasina Thi and Mardaani to his credit, passed away.
·He was an alumnus of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) and worked as an assistant to late editor Renu Saluja. His first big project was the 1998 film Bada Din.
18. Renowned writer of Kerala SivaramanCheriyanad passes away
The renowned writer of Kerala Sivaraman Cheriyanad passed away. He received the Abu Dhabi Sakthi Award in 1988 and the A.P. Kalakkad Award in 2009. He bagged Kerala Sahithya Akademi scholarship in 1990-91 for his study on the works of writer Parappuram. He was a recipient of the National Teachers Award in 1989.
19. UNESCO to publish anthology of Guru Nanak Dev’s writing in world languages
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) has decided to translate and publish an anthology of the writings of Guru Nanak Dev in world languages to mark his 550th birth anniversary.
·The Government of India is also holding a series of events and has initiated projects to mark 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev.
·These include the construction of Kartarpur Corridor from Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur district in Punjab to the international border, the development of the historic town of Sultanpur Lodhi as a heritage town on the smart city principle, the up-gradation of Sultanpur Lodhi railway station and release of commemorative coins and postage stamps.
Published on 15th Sep, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
Prakash Javadekar, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister, released a postal stamp to commemorate 60 years of Doordarshan.
Postal stamp of Doordarshan released on 60th anniversary
Prakash Javadekar, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister, released a
postal stamp to commemorate 60 years of Doordarshan.
• I&B Minister Prakash Javadekar highlighted the various achievements of the public broadcaster and also presented DD Annual Awards 2019 on the occasion.
• Doordarshan is India's one of the largest broadcasting organizations in terms of studio and transmitter infrastructure, having been established on 15 September 1959.
Former Andhra Pradesh Speaker Kodela Siva Prasad Rao commits suicide
Kodela Prasad Rao was recently booked by the Andhra Pradesh police for
shifting furniture from the assembly to his home in Guntur.
• He had won the seat with a margin of about 900 seats in the 2014 elections.
• Kodela Rao was reportedly upset over the number of cases registered against him and his family members over different issues.
Survey of India to map India with 300 drones
The Survey of India (SoI), historically tasked with mapping the country,
will for the first time rely on drones to map the country.
• The mapping will be creating high-resolution maps of the land in villages facilitating the digitisation of land titles in villages, according to officials involved with the survey.
• The objective is to map 75% of India’s geography, about 2.4 million sq km of the 3.2 million sq km, within the next two years.
NASA probe to fly over Vikram lander
NASA’s lunar probe will be flying over the crash-landing site on September
17 while ISRO has been trying to establish contact with the Vikram lander
since September 7.
• NASA probe is expected to unveil added information about the condition of the lander, which may aid India in its efforts to connect with the ground station.
• The US space agency’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) is supposed to send back images that it captures of the lander.
Published on August, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
v The 10th Jagran Film Festival (JFF-2019) has started in which city? – New Delhi
v Which former Indian athlete has been nominated for IAAF Veteran Pin? – PT Usha
v The 5th International Police Expo 2019 was held at which city? – New Delhi
v The Indian women team has de-feated which team to won Gold at the 21st Common-wealth Table Tennis Championship 2019? – Singapore
v The 2019 Durand Cup is slated to be held in which state? – Kolkata
v The scientists of which country have developed a concept named Ramanujan Machine? – Israel
v Which section of the Wildlife Protection Act of 1972 empowers the states to send a list of wild animals to the Centre requesting it to declare them vermin for selective slaughter? – Section 62
vThe Union Government has pro-posed which light urban rail tran-sit system for small cities? – Metrolite
v Arun Kumar Roy, who passed away recently, was the veteran Left leader of which state? – Jharkhand
v Who has become India’s first gold-medallist at the President’s Cup bo-xing tournament? – Shiva Thapa
v Which state government has decided to set up India’s first Space Park? – Kerala
v Which Indian bodybuilder has clinched 2019 Mr. South Asia title? – Ravinder Kumar Malik
v The 11th biennial edition of DefExpo India - 2020 is scheduled to be held in which city? – Lucknow
v The 2019 Homeless World Cup football tournament is scheduled to be held in which country? – UK
v The Union Government has banned which antibiotic in animal food industry? – Colistin
v The Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) facility has recently opened in which city? – Hyderabad
v The 2019 Hand-in-Hand military exercise is sche-duled to be held in which Indian state? – Meghalaya
vYukiya Amano, who passed away recently, was the Chief of which inter-national organisation? – IAEA
v Chandrayaan-2 will explore & perform studies on which region of Moon? – South Pole
v The 2019 International shark meet is slated to be held in which Indian city? – Kochi
v Who is the author of the book “Indo-Pak Relations : Beyond Pulwama & Balakot”? – U V Singh
v Who has been chosen for the Sangita Kalanidhi award of the Music Academy? – S Sowmya
v Who won the women’s singles titles at the 21st Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships? – Ayhika Mukherjee
v Who represented India at the NAM Mi-nisterial Meeting in Caracas? – Syed Akbaruddin
v Which hockey player has been chosen for 2019 Mohun Bagan Ratna? – Keshav Dutt
v The scientists of which country have developed a method to convert Jute fibre into low-cost bio-degrada-ble cellulose sheets? – Bangladesh
v Which state government has decided to bring legislation for ensuring Journalists’ job security? – West Bengal
v Which IIT has developed an AI app CARE4U for elderly people? – IIT Kharagpur
v Who is the head of the reconstituted Group of Minis-ters (GoM) on sexual harassment at workplace? – Amit Shah
v Which state has become the first Indian State to re-serve 75% private jobs for local youths? – Andhra Pradesh
v Which IIT has developed ‘Agricopter’ to eliminate manual spraying of pesticides in agricultural farms? – IIT Madras
v Who is the head of the Cryptocurrency panel that proposes ban on private digital currencies? – S C Garg
v Indian Railway’s first printing press heritage gallery has opened in which city? – Mumbai
v What is the India’s rank in the Global Innovation Index (GII) 2019? – 52nd
v Which RBI deputy governor has been assigned to run the monetary policy portfolio? – B P Kanungo
v Which state government has decided to ply ‘water taxis’ in its inland waterways? – Goa
v Ehsan Mania, who has been appointed chief of the ICC’s Finance & Commercial Affairs (F&CA), is from which country? – Pakistan
vIndia’s first dragon blood-oozing tree has recently discovered in which state? – Assam
vBeji Caid Essebsi, who passed away recently, was the President of which Afri-can country? – Tunisia
v Which company has become the official sponsor for the Indian cricket team? – BYJU’s
v India’s first space war drill “IndSpaceEx” has kick started in which city? – New Delhi
v Who is the author of the book ‘Fire and Fury Corps —Saga of Valour, Fortitude and Sacrifice’? – Ranbir Singh
v How many companies are honoured with the 2019 CSR Journal Excellence Awards? – 6
v Which state has topped in solar rooftop installations? – Gujarat
v Which state has become No. 1 in implementation of Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)? – Uttar Pradesh
v The researchers at which Indian organisation have discovered 28 new stars in Milky Way galaxy?– ARIES
v Who is the author of the book “Chandra Shekhar - The Last Icon of Ideological Politics”? – Harivansh
v Securitypedia has been launched by which Central Armed Police Force (CAPF) of India? – CISF
v Attoor Ravi Varma, who passed away recently, was the renowned poet and translator of which language? – Malayalam
v Who is set to become the first ever recipient of Tribute Actor Award at TIFF 2019? – Meryl Streep
v Which Arab nation has recently launched its first Underwater Military Museum? – Jordan
v The GST Council has decided to reduce GST Rate on Electrical Vehicles from 12% to how much per cent?– 5%
v Which Indian economist has unveiled an account aggregator model “Sahamati”? – Nandan Nilekeni
v The researchers at which IIT have developed a novel molecular framework for superbugs? – IIT Kanpur
v The 3rd edition of Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG-2020) is scheduled to be held in which city? – Guwahati
v The Hindu Economic Forum (HEF) has launched its national chapter in which country recently? – Nepal
vThe scientists at which IIT have developed two-finger robotic hand to help paralysed stroke patients? – IIT Kanpur
v Jaipal Reddy, who passed away recently, was the veteran leader of which political party?– INC
v Which Union territory has recently got BCCI affiliation? – Chandigarh
v Which is the host country for the 2019 edition of World He-patitis Day (WHD)? – Pakistan
vWhich Indian sand artist has won Peo-ple’s Choice Award in US? – Sudarshan Pattnayik
vThe 5th International Dharma-Dhamma conference was held in which city? – Rajgir
v India’s 7th Economic Census has started from which state? – Tripura
v Which Indian woman boxer has won gold in the 51kg category at the 23rd Presi-dent’s Cup? – Mary Kom
v The 22nd National Conference on e-Governance 2019 is scheduled to be held in which North-Eastern state of India ? – Meghalaya
v The scientists of which country have developed a statistical model that predict pollu-tion levels using oceans’ memory? – China and USA
v Donkupar Roy, who passed away recently, was the speaker of which state assembly? – Meghalaya
v Who has been appointed chairman of the Public Accounts Committee (PAC)? – Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury
v Who has been appointed as the new Director General (DG) of Border Security Force (BSF)? – VK Johri
v The Deep Ocean Mission (DOM) is slated to be launch by which union ministry? – Union Ministry of Earth Sciences
v Which country has been invited as a partner country for Gita Jayanti Mahotsav 2019 of India? – Nepal
v NITI Aayog has partnered with which social networking site to pro-mote women entrepreneurs? – Whatsapp
vWho clinched the Formula One Ger-man Grand Prix 2019? - Max Verstappen
v The researchers at which IIT have developed eco-friendly solar cells using kum-kum dye? – IIT Hyderabad
vWho has been appointed the new Finance Secretary of India? – Rajiv Kumar
v The researchers of which institute have discovered a new species of vine snake from the Western Ghats that dates back 26 million years? – IIT Bengaluru
v According to the 2018 Tiger Census report, which state has recorded highest number of tigers? – Madhya Pradesh
v The Union Government has recently imposed definitive anti-dumping duty on PTA imports from which countries? – South Korea and Thiland
v The Ministry of Culture has recently included which language in Senior/Junior Fellowships for Artistes? – Santhali
v Who has become the first IAF pilot to complete wing suit skydive jump? – Tarun Chaudhuri
v Jerlin Anika, who won gold at the 2019 World Deaf Youth Badminton Championships, is from which state? – Tamil Nadu
v The 52nd ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting (AMM-52) has taken place in which city? – Bangkok
vWhich former Indian Cricketer has been honoured with Bharat Gaurav Award? – Kapil Dev
vWho has become the first cricketer to reach 1000 runs, 100 wickets in T20Is? – Ellyse Perry
v Which city has been named world’s best student city in the QS Best Student Cities Ranking? – London
v Who won the IBC 2019 International Honour for Excellence ? – Andy Serkis
v The Innovation for Clean Air (IfCA) has been launched by India & which country in Bangaluru? – UK
v Which union ministry has launched the Atal Community Innovation Centre (ACIC) in New Delhi? – Union Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Steel
v The Union Cabinet has approved the setting up of ISRO Technical Liaison Unit (ITLU) in which city? – Moscow
v Which technical giant has partnered with Apollo Hospitals to fight cardio-vascular diseases? – Microsoft
v Which Indian personality has been honoured with the prestigious 2019 Ramon Magsaysay Award? – Ravish Kumar
v The Union Government has set up KABIL for what purpose? – to ensure a consistent supply of critical and strategic minerals to Indian domestic market
v On pilot basis, the One Nation-one Ration Card scheme has been implemented in which states? – Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Gujarat
v Which state government has launched ‘Save Green, Stay Clean’ campaign? – West Bengal
v Which state / UT has announced free electricity for people using up to 200 units under a domestic con-nection? – Delhi
vWho is the author of the book “Tools and Weapons: The Promise and The Peril of the Digital Age”? – Brad Smith
vWhich union ministry is conducting India’s first national Time Release Study (TRS)? – Ministry of Finance
v The researchers at which IIT has developed Hydro Thermal Carbonization (HTC) technology for solid waste management? – IIT Kharagpur
v As per which committee’s report, UGC has recom-mended 20 institutions for Institutes of Eminence (IoE)? – N Gopalaswami Committee
v As per which article of the constitution, Supreme Court has ruled that a judicial magistrate has power to direct accused to give voice samples? – Article 142
v The Census 2021 will be conducted in how many scheduled languages? – 18
v Which Indian-origin personality has been crowned Miss England 2019? – Bhasa Mukherjee
v Devadas Kanakala, who passed away recently, was the veteran actor of which regional cinema? – Telugu
v Which bank has become the first Indian bank to link up with China’s National Advance Payment System (CNAPS)? – SBI
v Which state government has launched Vhali Dikri Yojna for the welfare of girl child? – Gujarat
v Which country has officially withdrawn from Inter-mediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF)? – USA
v Which Indian personality has been honoured with the highest award of Republic of Guinea “National order of Merit”? – Ram Nath Kovind
v Kanti Bhatt, who passed away recently, was the veteran personality of which field? – Journalism
v Anant Setalvad, who passed away recently, was the veteran personality of which sports? – Cricket
v ISRO has decided to setup Space Situational Awareness Control Centre in which city? – Bengaluru
v India’s first large-scale trial for VPM1002 & Immuvac is related to which disease? – TB
v Which state has become the India’s first state to adopt a digital fingerprint and iris scanning system? – Maharashtra
v The Union Government has approved Rs 4,900 crore Kosi-Mechi Interlinking project. Mechi is an impor-tant tributary of which river basin? – Mahananda
v Which Bollywood actor to be felicitated with ‘Excellence in Cinema’ award by Victorian Government? – Shahrukh Khan
v The census of elephants is underta-ken at the national level once in how many years? – 5
v The United States has designated which country as currency manipulator? – China
vWhich Indian cricketer has been chosen as the July’s PCA player of the month? – R Ashwin
vWhich union ministry has organized the 2nd All India Annual Conference of IIS Officers? – Ministry of Information and Broad-casting
v Which Indian cricketer has been conferred with Kar-thik Bose Lifetime Achievement award? – Arun Lal
v The ScooNews Global Educators Fest (SGEF) is being held in which city? – Udaipur
v Naaz Joshi, who won the Miss World Diversity 2019 title, is from which country? – India
v Which state government has laun-ched Mission Shakti sports initiative? – Maharashtra
v Which Indian wrestler bagged gold in women’s 53kg category of the 2019 Poland Open wrestling tourna-ment? – Vinesh Phogat
v Which space agency has discovered first nearby super-earth planet GJ357d? – NASA
v India’s first 3-D Smart Traffic Signal ‘Intelights’ has launched in which city? – Mohali
v The researchers at which IIT have developed portable device to detect bacteria without cell culture or microbiological assays? – IIT Guwahati
v Jay Om Prakash, who passed away recently, was the veteran personality of which field?– Film Industry
v The 5th edition of International Army Scout Masters Competition has started in which military station? – Jaisalmer
v Nobel laureate Toni Morrison has passed away. She was from which country? – United States
v Which city has been chosen as the venue for the main event of the 5th National Handloom Day (NHD)? – Bhubaneswar
v Which union ministry has unveiled draft e-commerce norms for consumer protection? – Ministry of Consumer Affairs
v Which state government has launched a new higher education model “RACE”? – Rajasthan
v Which zone of Indian railways has introduced a new Biometric Token System (BTS)? – Western Railways
v Which state /UT government has launched a project titled ‘Oral History Programme’? – Delhi
v Noted educationalist Rajalakshmi Parthasarathy has passed away. She was from which state? – Tamil Nadu
v The scientists of which country have created the world’s thinnest gold? – Britain
v Who has taken charge as the new CMD of Power Grid Corporation of India? – K Sreekant
v According to Ethnologue, which country has the highest number of ‘living’ indigenous languages in the world? – Papua New Guinea
vWhich Indian Grandmaster has won the 2019 Belt and Road China Hunan Interna-tional chess tournament? – Surya Sekhar Ganguly
vRBI has cut the policy repo rate by how much basis points in its 3rd bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement for FY 20? – 35
v Which organisation has announced Vikram Sarabhai Journalism Award? – ISRO
v Which state has topped the rankings in Health Minis-try report card on “Breastfeeding & Infant & Child feeding Practices”? – Manipur
v The Kerala Government has signed MoU with which organisation to develop Space Park? – VSSC
v Who has been appointed as the green am-bassador of Manipur? – Valentina Elangbam
vWhich union ministry has launched ‘Sa-magra Shiksha-Jal Suraksha’ drive?– Mi-nistry of Human Resource Development
v Which state has won the most film-friendly state award at 2018 National Film awards? – Uttarakhand
v Which movie has won the Best Feature Film award at the 2018 National Film awards? – Hellaro
v India’s first clinical ecotoxicology facility has laun-ched in which city? – Delhi
v Which country has recently designated India in its list of major illegal drug producing & transit countries? – USA
v The Khadi and Village Industry Commission (KVIC) has launched a Leather Mission from which district of Rajasthan? – Sirohi
v Which IIT with Harvard University studied mercury accumulation in fish? – IIT Hyderabad
vThe researchers at which IIT have desig-ned a system to recycle urine? – IIT Madras
vWho is the new prosecution director of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)? – Sudha Rani Relangi
v Which state government has announced Mukhya-mantri Madad Yojna for tribals? – Madhya Pradesh
v Which state government has announced to waive loans taken by tribals from money-lenders? – Madhya Pradesh
v Which cricket board has launched transgender and gender diverse policy? – Australia
v Reliance Jio has partnered with which tech company to offer cloud infra for businesses? – Microsoft
v Which museum has become the most visited museum in the Asian sub-continent? – Virasat-e-Khalsa
v India’s first health-focused credit card has been launched by which bank? – RBL Bank
v Who is set to be the first woman president of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA)? – Chandrima Shaha
v Which Indian journalist has won the 2019 Prem Bhatia Award for political reporting? – Rajdeep Sardesai
v Which Indian Armed force has launched “Mission Reach Out” in Jammu? – Indian Army
v Which Indian sportsperson has won the men’s title at the 2019 Hyderabad Open badminton champion-ship? – Saurabh Verma
v Which Indian wrestler won gold in the 65kg category at 2019 Tbilisi Grand Prix Wrestling tournament? – Bajrang Punia
v Aishwarya Pissay, who has become the first Indian to claim a world title in motorsports, is from which city? – Bengaluru
v Which state has become the first state in India to implement the National Policy on Biofuels? – Rajasthan
v Which state government has created world record by planting 22-cr saplings in a day? – Uttar Pradesh
vWho is slated to be felicitated with the 2019 Charlie Chaplin Award by the British Academy’s Los Angeles branch? – Steve Coogan
vWho is the author of the book ‘Sridevi: Girl Woman Superstar? – Satyarth NJayak
v Which airline is set to become the first Indian airline to fly over the North Pole? – Air India
v Which union ministry has launched Swaccha Survakshan Grameen? – Ministry of Jal Shakti
v The famous ‘Panchamirtham’ of Palani temple has recently got GI tag. The temple is located in which state? – Tamil Nadu
v The researchers at which IIT have developed low-cost blood test device? – IIT Kharagpur
v Who has become the first Indian chef to receive French honour? – Priyam Chatterjee
v Which organisation has launched a special drive code named ‘Operation Number Plate’? – RPF
v Who has been elected as the new President of Guatemala? – Alejandro Giammattei
v As per Pradhan Mantri Kisan Maan-Dhan Yojana (PM-KMY), a monthly pension of how much amount will be provided to eligible farmers on attaining the age of 60? – Rs.3000
v On which date, the 2019 edition of World Elephant Day (WED) is observed recently? – August 12
v Who is the head of high level committee on CSR, which recommended CSR expen-diture to be made tax deductible expenditure? – Injeti Srinivads
v On which date, the 2019 edi-tion of World Organ Dona-tion Day (WODD) is obser-ved recently? – August 13
Total Visitors :