NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Madhya Pradesh government will set up 1,000 'Gaushalas' or cow shelters in the state.
2. 12th edition of Aero India 2019 will be held at Yelahanka Air Force Station in Bengaluru from February 20 to 24.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated National Salt Satyagraha Memorial to the nation at Navsari district, Dandi village, situated in South Gujarat.
4. Union Finance and Railways Minister Piyush Goyal has been awarded the fourth Carnot prize for his work in sustainable energy solutions.
5. ISRO has inaugurated Human Space Flight Centre (HSFC) in Bengaluru.
6. Lt Gen Rajeev Chopra has taken charge as new Director General of National Cadet Corps (NCC) in New Delhi.
7. The 2019 International conference on Guru Padmasambhava was held in which city? – New Delhi.
8. The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has been renamed as the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade. It is under Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
9. On 1st February, a music and dance festival 'Sopan 2019’ has started at Central Park in New Delhi to encourage young and upcoming artistes to take up traditional art forms. The fest is organised by Sahitya Kala Parishad and the Delhi government in association with New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC).
1. 8th meeting of India - China Joint Working Group on Counter-terrorism was held in Beijing.
2. Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) has recently signed agreements worth $93 million for providing Naval MRSAM (Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile) systems to India. The contracts for the air defence system were entered with the Indian Navy and the Cochin Shipyard.
3. Vijay Singh Chauhan has been appointed as the Ambassador of India to Burkina Faso, West Africa.
4. What is the theme of the 2019 World Leprosy Day (WLD)? - ‘Ending discrimination, stigma and prejudice’. The World Leprosy Day (WLD) is observed
every year on the last Sunday of January to spread awareness about the disease, the impact of discrimination and social stigma attached to it and how
these negative effects hamper the efforts to stop the spread of the disease.
5. Which country have officially set up a payment channel with Iran called INSTEX? – Germany, France and the UK.
1. Coca-Cola has entered into a five-year global strategic sponsorship agreement with International Cricket Council (ICC).
2. Indian captain Mithali Raj has scripted history by becoming the first female cricketer to play 200 ODIs when she played 3rd and final ODI against New Zealand on February 1.
1. The NCC is an Indian military cadet corps with its headquarters at New Delhi; it is the world's largest uniformed youth organization. Its motto is 'Unity and Discipline'.
1. Dara Dotiwala, one of the on-field umpires in the historical Test between India and Australia in Chennai in September 1986, passed away recently. He was 85.
Published on 1st February, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Who has been elected as the new chairman of Broadcast Audience Research Council of India (BARC)? - Punit Goenka, MD and CEO of Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited (ZEEL). He succeeded Nakul Chopra.
2. India’s second Tulip Garden will come up in which of the following states? – Uttarakhand.
3. Which Indian personality has received Carnot Prize for Power Reforms, Rural Electrification? - Union Finance Minister Piyush Goyal.
4. Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Delhi, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh signed an agreement for construction of Renukaji Dam Multipurpose Project in the presence of Union Water Resources Minister Nitin Gadkari.
5. BankBazaar has partnered with Ujjivan Small Finance Bank for providing Personal Loans.
6. Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar inaugurated the New Campus of the National Museum Institute at Noida.
7. Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation the National Salt Satyagraha Memorial and Museum at Dandi in Gujarat's Navsari district on Mahatma Gandhi's 71st death anniversary.
1. Which international organization has officially launched the International Year of the Period Table of Chemical Elements (IYPT-2019)? – UNESCO.
2. Which country has launched a common digital currency "Aber”? - UAE and Saudi Arabia.
3. The Africa Centre for Climate and Sustainable Development has recently launched in which country? – Italy.
4. What is the India’s rank at the 2018 Corruption Perception Index (CPI) of Transparency International (TI)? – 78th.
5. India’s flagship hydrocarbon international conference ‘PETROTECH-2019’ is scheduled to be held in which city? – New Delhi.
6. Israel became the 38th member of the FATF (Financial Action Task Force). It was formed on 1989. It's headquarter is in Paris, France.
7. France has recently introduced a new "GAFA tax".
8. Sunjay Sudhir has been appointed as India's Ambassador to the Maldives.
1. Who has become the fastest Indian bowler to reach 100 ODI wickets? - Mohammed Shami. Shami reached the milestone in his 56th match. It is during the first ODI against New Zealand at McLean Park in Napier on 23rd January 2019.
2. Ricky Pointing became the third player to be inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2018 after India's Rahul Dravid and England's Claire Taylor.
3. Wasim Jaffer became first batsman to score 11000 Ranji Trophy runs.
4. Bihar's left-arm spinner Ashutosh Aman became the highest-taker in a single season in Ranji Trophy.
5. G Sathiyan climbed three places to reach 28th place in the latest Table tennis rankings while compatriot Manika Batra became the first female from the country to break into the top-50.
6. U.S. lawmakers have nominated jailed Uyghur academic and blogger Ilham Tohti to receive the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize. Ilham has been sentenced to life in prison for "separatism".
1. UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) was formed in 1946. It's headquarter is in Paris.
2. India's first PolicyHack for teachers by Dell in partnership with the UNESCO Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP).
4. ACSD – Africa Centre for Climate and Sustainable Development.
5. Transparency International (TI) was formed on 1993. It's headquarter is in Berlin, Germany.
1. Dara Dotiwalla, who passed away recently, was associated with which sports? – Cricket.
Published on 31st January, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Which state government has launched "Jiban Sampark" project to reach vulnerable tribes? – Odisha.
2. Who is the head of Lokpal search panel to select members of anti-corruption ombudsman Lokpal? - Ranjana Prakash Desai.
3. Which state government has decided to introduce MSP (Minimum Support Price) for farmers based on MS Swaminathan report? – Delhi.
4. Which state government has recently launched a special scheme to curb infant deaths? – Maharashtra.
5. The world’s longest expressway will come up in which state? – Uttar Pradesh.
6. 26th National Children's Science Congress (NCSC) inaugurated by the CM of Odisha Naveen Patnaik in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. It's theme is "Science, Technology & Innovation for A clean, green and healthy nation".
7. DRDO is the 'Exhibitor of the year' at 106th Indian Science Congress.
8. India Steel 2019 Exhibition and Conference was held in – Mumbai.
9. India bagged the Award of Excellence for 'Best in Show' at the New York Times Travel Show 2019.
10. Vice Admiral G Ashok Kumar, AVSM (Ati Vishisht Seva Medal), VSM (Vishisht Seva Medal) has assumed charge as the Vice Chief of Naval Staff.
11. Punjab Government approved the ‘Smart Village Campaign’ for overall development of villages at a cost of ₹384.40 crore.
12. Ministry of Textiles has organised National Conclave on Technical Textiles- 'TechnoTex 2019' in Mumbai.
13. First ever National Conference on “Prison Design” was held in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
14. 24 writers including renowned Hindi writer Chitra Mudgal have been awarded with the Sahitya Akademi Award 2018.
15. Union Finance, Railways and Coal Minister Piyush Goyal will receive the Carnot prize for his contribution towards sustainable energy solutions.
1. Which country is the largest producer of crude steel in the world, according to latest report of World Steel Association (WSA)? – China.
2. The 2019 International Holocaust Remembrance Day is observed on which date? – 27th January.
3. Which country bagged the Award of Excellence for ‘Best in Show’ at the New York Times Travel Show 2019? – India.
4. Which city is the venue of the 2019 International Stock Taking Conference on Tiger Conservation? – New Delhi. International Tiger Day is observed on 29th July.
5. World's largest 3D printed concrete bridge is completed in – Shanghai (China).
6. World's first underground hotel opened in – Shanghai (China).
7. International Tiger Day is observed on 29th July.
8. Indian-American Sikh Gurinder Singh Khalsa received Rosa Parks Trailblazer Award.
9. World Orange Festival hosted by Maharashtra tourism was held in – Nagpur from 18th to 21st January 2019.
10. World' longest expressway in U.P.Govt approved Ganga expressway connecting Prayagraj with western UP.
11. According to the Transparency International's Global Corruption Index (Corruption Perceptions Index) for 2018, India rose by three points to 78 in the list of 180 countries in the world, while China ranked 87 and Pakistan 117 in the index.
1. Who has become the youngest batsman to smack a half-century in international cricket? - Rohit Paudel.
1. KALIA – Krushak Assistance For Livelihood and Income Augmentation.
Published on 30th January, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Which union ministry has launched ‘RDP INDIA 2019 app’ for Republic Day parade? – Ministry of Defence.
2. Atal Setu, which is in news recently, is built across which river in Goa? – Mandovi. It is four-lane and 5.1Km long. It is constructed by the GIDC (Goa Infrastructure Development Corporation). It is named as ATAL SETU in memory of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
3. Who has been conferred the Assam Republic Day Journalism Award 2019? - Dhirendra Nath Chakraborty.
4. Which state government has decided to launch 'Yuva Swabhiman Yojana' for urban poor youth? – Madhya Pradesh. It is to ensure 100 days of employment every year to the youths from the economically weaker sections (EWS) in urban areas.
5. Who has become the first Indian transgender to be honoured with Padma Shri? - Narthaki Nataraj, a renowned dancer from Tamil Nadu.
6. Who is the head of IRDAI committee to identify Systemically Important Insurers (SII)? - Pravin Kutumbe.
7. Which state has been declared best state for active participation in Swasth Bharat Yatra? – Tamil Nadu.
8. Focal theme of International Kolkata Book Fair 2019 is – Guatemala. It is starting from 31st January 2019, ends on 11th February 2019.
9. National Education Day is observed on 11th November.
10 .FSSAI launched Heart Attack Rewind Campaign for elimination of industrially produced trans-fat.
11. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the appointment of Dilip Sadarangani as part-time chairman of Federal Bank.
12. Music festival Sur Jahan, previously known as Sufi Sutra, will be held in Goa from February 6 to 8.
13. IndiaFirst Life Insurance has bought nine per cent stake in CSC e-Governance Services India Ltd. IndiaFirst Life Insurance is a joint venture between Bank of Baroda, Andhra Bank and Legal and General (UK), while CSC is an integral part of Digital India initiative of the government under Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
1. In which year, India would participate in the International Student Assessment (PISA)? – 2021.
2. PISA - Programme for International Student Assessment.
3. Which Indian personality has been appointed the WHO regional director for South-East Asia? - Dr. Poonam Khetrapal Singh.
4. Who has become the Pakistan's first Hindu woman judge? - Suman Kumari. She is appointed as a civil judge.
5. Which volcano erupted in Indonesia? – Anak Krakatoa.
6. United Nations International Day of Education – 24th January.
7. Justice Tahira Safdar is first woman high court chief justice in Pakistan.
8. The salt-to-software group Tata has been ranked 86th in the 2019 Most Valuable Brands list compiled by the London-based consultancy Brand Finance. Tata was ranked 104 in the 2018 list.
1. Denmark's Anders Antonsen has won the men's singles title of Indonesia Masters Badminton Tournament by defeating Kento Momota of Japan.
2. Vinita Bhardwaj has won the gold medal in women’s air rifle in the H&N Cup international shooting championship Munich, Germany.
3. Ambati Rayudu has been suspended from bowling in international cricket by the ICC.
1. FSSAI - Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
2. Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development was formed on 16th April 1948. It's headquarter is in Paris, France.
3. First WHO Global Conference on Air Pollution and Health was held from 30th October to 1st November 2018. Its theme was 'Improving Air Quality, Combating Climate Change – saving lives'.
4. 10th BRICS Summit was held in Johannesburg, South Africa.
5. Good Governance Day is observed on 25th December.
6. Civilian Awards
7. IRDAI – Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India. Its chairman is Subhash Chandra Khuntia. It's headquarter is in Hyderabad, Telangana.
8. PFRDA – Pension Fund Regulatory & Development Authority.
9. SIDBI – Small Industries Development Bank of India.
1. Former Defence Minister and Veteran socialist George Fernandes passed away. He was 88.
Published on 29th January, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Which railway zone has bagged No.1 position for cleanliness in India? – Southern Railway.
2. Which train has been named as Vande Bharat Express? – Train18. The train is set to run between Delhi and Varanasi at a maximum speed of 160kmph. The 16-coach train is designed and manufactured by the Chennai-based Integral Coach Factory (ICF) at a cost of approx Rs 97 crore.
3. The government of Uttarakhand has obtained the permission to develop the state's first tulip garden in Pithoragarh district.
1. Who has won the 2018 DSC Prize for South Asian Literature? - Jayant Kaikini.
2. Harimau Shakti 2018 – India and Malaysia joint military exercise.
3. Indonesia inaugurated 'Little India Gate' in Medan City.
4. Which volcano erupted in Indonesia recently? – Anak Krakatoa.
5. According to World Steel Association (WSA), India has replaced Japan as world’s second largest steel producing country, while China is the largest producer of crude steel.
1. Saina Nehwal of India has won the 2019 Indonesia Masters title against which player? - Carolina Marin of Spain.
2. Pakistan's new chief justice – Justice Asif Saeed Khosa.
1. USTAAD – Undergear Surveillance Through Artificial Intelligence Assisted Droid. It is a robot to check for faults in trains.
2. Word of the year 2018
1. Veteran tribal leader and former Odisha minister Chaitanya Prasad Majhi died. He was 90.
Published on 28th January, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Who is the author of the book ‘Panchashati Galpo’? - Sri. Atin Bandyopadhyay.
2. Himachal Pradesh has celebrated its 49th Full Statehood day on 25th January.
3. First woman to perform bike stunts – Captain Shikha Surabhi.
1. UK remains the largest arms producer in Western Europe. Russia became the second largest arms producer in the top 100.
2. SANH (South Asian Nitrogen Hub), which is in news recently, is a research programme to tackle which pollution? – To study Nitrogen Pollution.
3. Oxford dictionaries have declared which word as the Hindi word for the year 2018? - "Nari Shakti".
4. Which neighbouring country of India has recently declared sugarcane juice as 'national drink'? – Pakistan.
1. Which Indian golfer has won the New South Wales men's Amateur Golf Championship in Australia? - Kartik Sharma.
2. Which country has recently stripped of the right to host the 2019 World Para Swimming Championships? – Malaysia.
1. Sipri – Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.
2. GCRF – Global Challenges Research Fund.
1. Oscar-winning French composer Michel Legrand has passed away recently. He was 86.
Published on 27th January, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. What is the theme of the National Voters Day (NVD-2019)? – 'No Voter to be Left Behind'.
2. On 26th January 2019, President Ramnath Kovind conferred the Bharat Ratna, the nation’s highest civilian honour, on former President Pranab Mukherjee, along with social activist Nanaji Deshmukh (posthumous), and Assamese musician Bhupen Hazarika (posthumous).
3. Who led the all-women Assam Rifles contingent, which has created history by participating for the first time in a Republic Day parade? - Khushboo Kanwar.
1. The Airports Authority of India (AAI) and Saab have signed a pact to explore air traffic management. Where is the headquarters of Saab (Swedish aerospace and defence company) located? – Sweden.
2. The researchers of which country have developed a system that can produce electricity and hydrogen fuel from carbon dioxide? – South Korea.
3. What is the theme of the 2019 International Customs Day (ICD)? - “SMART borders for seamless Trade, Travel and Transport”. The International Customs Day (ICD) is observed every year on January 26.
4. Poonam Khetrapal Singh has been appointed the South-East Asia regional director of the World Health Organization (WHO) for a second five-year term.
1. India's Kartik Sharma won the New South Wales men's Amateur Golf Championship in Australia.
2. Australian Open 2019
1. Eminent Scientist and recipient of Bharat Ratna, C N R Rao has been chosen for the first Sheikh Saud International Prize for Materials Research, given by the Centre for Advanced Materials of the UAE.
2. GIPC – Global Innovation Policy Centre.
1. Russell Baker, the two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning author has passed away. He was from which country? – United States.
2. Veteran Shiromani Akali Dal leader and former MLA Dalip Singh Pandhi has passed away recently. He was 82.
Published on 26th January, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Which state government has declared Pakke Paga Hornbill Festival (PPHF) as the “State Festival”? – Arunachal Pradesh.
2. Which state government has decided to give 5% quota for Kapu community in 10% reservation for EWS (Economically Weaker Sections)? – Andhra Pradesh.
3. Who has been bestowed with the 2017 Saraswati Samman? - Sitanshu Yashashchandra for his poetry collection in Gujarati named “Vakhar”. The Saraswati Samman was instituted in 1991 by the K. K. Birla Foundation.
4. Which city is the venue of the Indian Africa Field Training Exercise (IAFTX-2019)? – Pune.
5. Which NDRF's (National Disaster Response Force) Battalion has won the first-ever Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar? – 8th. The award is to be announced every year on 23rd January on the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose. For the year 2019, 8th Battalion of National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) located at Ghaziabad has been selected for the award for its commendable work in Disaster Management. The Award recipient will receive a certificate and a cash prize of Rs. 51 lakh.
6. The government has launched a unique initiative called 'Bhasha Sangam' to introduce school students to 22 Indian languages.
7. What is the theme of the National Girl Child Day (NGCD-2019)? – 'Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow'.
8. Sakhi Centre or One Stop Centre (OSC) is a fully sponsored scheme of central government. These centres are set up through the 'Nirbhaya Fund under the National Mission for Empowerment of Women' by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
9. Railways and Coal Minister Piyush Goyal has been given the additional charge of the Ministry of Finance and Corporate Affairs.
10. The first-ever UN’s International Day of Education is celebrated on which date? – 24th January. It is celebrated to commemorate the birth anniversary of the first education minister of independent India — Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.
11. Who is the author of the novel ‘Zindaginama’? – Krishna Sobti.
12. The new Naval Air Base ‘INS Kohassa’ has commissioned at which of the states /UTs? – Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
13. Which IIT has launched an app ‘Roshni’ to help blind identify notes? – IIT Ropar.
14. The Union Cabinet has approved the amendment to which article to strengthen northeast autonomous councils? – Article 280.
15. ISRO has successfully launched military satellite 'Microsat-R' from which launch vehicle? - PSLV-C44.
16. Which state government has decided to set up anti-poaching tiger protection force? – Telangana.
17. Which novel has been adjudged as the best novel of 2017 at the Kerala Sahitya Akademi Awards? – Nireeswaran.
18. Who has become the India’s first woman IPS officer to complete South Pole expedition? – Aparna Kumar.
19. Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved Ravneet Gill as the New Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Yes Bank.
20. Lakshmi Vilas Bank has reappointed Parthasarathi Mukherjee as Managing Director.
21. Ronojoy Dutta has been appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of IndiGo
1. Managing Director of International Monetary Fund – Christine Lagarde. IMF was founded on 27th December 1945.
2. What is the India’s rank at the Global Talent Competitive Index (GTCI) 2019? – 80th. The list is topped by Switzerland, followed by Singapore, the US, Norway and Denmark.
3. What is the India’s rank at the 2019 Bloomberg Innovation Index? – 54th. South Korea has topped the Index for the sixth time in a row followed by Germany, Finland, Switzerland, Israel, Singapore, Sweden, U.S., Japan and France in the top 10.
4. Which international organisation has published its latest World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) report? – United Nations.
5. Mauritius will organize First International Bhojpuri Festival.
6. The world’s longest 3D-printed concrete bridge has opened in which country? – China.
7. World's largest 3D printed concrete bridge is completed in – Shanghai (China).
8. Global Investors Summit has been started in Chennai.
9. Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah has been elected as the new King of Malaysia.
1. Former South Africa all-rounder Johan Botha has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket.
1. 2018 Hornbill Festival was held in – Nagaland.
2. 1st North East Olympic Games was held in – Manipur.
3. 2nd North East Olympic Games was held in - Arunachal Pradesh.
4. India's second FTII (Film and Television Institute of India) after Pune is in – Arunachal Pradesh.
5. Andhra Pradesh government has launched 'Bhusena' and 'Bhudaar' web portal through which people can view land records online.
6. The Asia competitiveness Institute (ACI) has released the 'Ease of Doing Business Rankings for Indian States'. Andhra Pradesh has topped the list following Maharashtra and Delhi second and third position respectively.
1. Eminent Hindi Author and essayist Krishna Sobti died. She was 93.
2. Former Union minister Bhanu Prakash Singh died. He was 89.
Published on 25th January, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Assam Government has decided to give 10 percent quota in Government jobs and educational institutes to economically weaker sections in general category.
2. Indian Navy will conduct a Coastal Defence Exercise 'Sea Vigil 2019’ along the entire coastline of the country.
3. The 27th Saraswati Samman was conferred upon eminent Gujarati poet Sitanshu Yashaschandra. The award for 2017 was given to Yashaschandra for his poetry collection, 'Vakhar', published in 2009.
4. Maharashtra and the US-India Business Council (USIBC) signed a pact to promote the state as an investment destination for American companies.
5. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Subhash Chandra Bose museum at the iconic Red Fort.
6. Agyey Kumar Azad took over as the executive director of State-owned Punjab National Bank (PNB).
7. Union minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated a bridge over the Ravi River in Jammu & Kashmir. This bridge will reduce the distance between Kathua in Jammu and Pathankot in Punjab to 8.6 km from 45 km.
8. Who has won the 'Prabha Khaitan Woman’s Voice Award' at the Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival (AKLF-2019)? - Ranjani Murali. It is joint initiative between Oxford Bookstore and Prabha Khaitan Foundation. The award carries a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh and a citation. The purpose of the award is to recognise and encourage creative writing by women in India.
9. Which technical giant has launched a new e-commerce platform 'reweave.in' for handloom weavers? - Microsoft India.
10. Which ports has become the only Indian port to be listed amongst the world’s top 30 container ports , as per the latest Lloyds Report? – JNPT (Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust).
11. The National Girl Child Day is observed on 24th January.
12. Sajjan Jindal elected as treasurer of World Steel Association.
13. Rs 75 coin to commemorate the 75th anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose hoisting the Tricolour for the first time at Port Blair. The Ministry of Finance has issued a notification regarding the release of the Rs 75 coin along with its specifications.
14. "Nehru & Bose Parallel Lives" is written by Rudrangshu Mukherjee.
15. Chhattisgarh has joined the list of West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh which have withdrawn the general consent for CBI to undertake investigations.
16. The government of West Bengal has announced the 'Krishak Bandhu Scheme' to address the farm distress in the state.
17. The Ministry of Shipping has adjudged New Mangalore Port (NMP) as the cleanest port among all major ports in India.
1. India and Sri Lanka signed an MOU to provide modern infrastructural facilities to Swami Vipulananda Institute of Aesthetic Studies of Eastern University in Batticaloa district of Sri Lanka.
2. UNESCO has announced that the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro will be the World Capital of Architecture for 2020.
3. Who has been sworn-in as the new President of Madagascar? - Andry Rajoelina.
4. Which international organization has recently released the World Economic Outlook (WEO)? –International Monetary Fund ( IMF).
5. The Union Cabinet has approved MoU between India and which country for cooperation on the recruitment of domestic workers? – Kuwait.
6. Who has been sworn-in as the new President of Madagascar? - Andry Rajoelina.
7. India has overtaken Japan to become world's second largest producer of crude steel in February 2018. China is the largest producer of crude steel in the world.
1. Mohammed Shami became the fastest Indian to claim 100 wickets in one-day Internationals, reaching the mark in the opening match against New Zealand.
2. Cosmas Lagat of Kenya has won the men's title in the Tata Mumbai Marathon.
3. SAIL Hockey Academy bagged Aga Khan Gold Cup.
1. Steel Authority of India (SAIL) was founded on 19th January 1954. Its headquarter is in New Delhi. Anil Kumar Chaudhary is its chairman.
2. Ross Island in Andaman is renamed as Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Island.
4. Microsoft was founded on 4th April 1975 by Bill Gates and Paul Allen. It's headquarter is in Washington.
Published on 24th January, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. 'India Steel 2019 Exhibition and Conference' has been started in Mumbai.
2. According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), India's Gross Domestic Product Growth Rate is expected to be at 7.3 % in the Financial Year 2018-19 and 7.5% in 2019-20.
3. Who is the head of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) working group to suggest a suitable framework for Group Insolvency? – U K Sinha.
4. India’s first private-sector Howitzer gun-manufacturing plant has come up in which city? – Surat.
5. Which states celebrated their 47th statehood day on 21st January 2019? – Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura.
6. Aadhaar cards are now valid travel documents (under 15 and over 65 years) for Indians travelling to which countries? – Nepal and Bhutan.
7. Chairman of SEBI – Ajay Tyagi.
8. Bimal Jalan is head of Economic Capital Framework Committee.
9. Surat district became first in country to have 100% solar powered Primary Health Centres (PHCs).
1. World Economic Forum (WEF) annual meet has been started in Davos, Switzerland. The theme is 'Globalization 4.0: Shaping a Global Architecture in the Age of the Fourth Industrial Revolution'.
2. Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur and Union health minister Jagat Prakash Nadda laid the foundation stone of the AIIMS at Kothipura in Bilaspur district.
3. Which city is the venue of the Arab Economic and Social Development Summit 2019? – Lebanese capital Beirut. Arab Economic and Social Development Summit are held at the level of head of state to address issues of economic and social development among member states. Previous summits are Kuwait in 2009, Egypt in 2011 and Riyadh in 2013.
4. Which Indian-American philanthropist has been conferred with the 2019 Rosa Parks Trailblazer award? - Gurinder Singh Khalsa.
1. Ankita Raina has won the International Tennis Federation's 25,000-dollar Women's tournament in Singapore.
2. Which Indian players are featured in both ICC Test & ODI team of the year 2018? - Virat Kohli and Jasprit Bumrah.
1. Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India (IBBI) was formed on 1st October 2016.
2. RBI has appointed 8 member committee headed by former SEBI chairman U K Sinha for MSME (Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises) revival.
3. India ranks 108th in World Economic Forum gender gap index 2018.
4. India's first Railway University is in Vadodara.
5. Year wise India's states declared as full-fledge state –
1. World’s oldest man Masazo Nonaka (Japan) has passed away recently. He was 113.
Published on 23rd January, 2019
NEWS AT A GLANCE
1. Which city is the venue of the Youth Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (YPBD-2019)? – Varanasi.
2. The Government of India (GoI) has decided to recruit women in military police after graded induction at what percentage? – 20%.
3. Which state government has recently roll out Startup and Innovation policy ‘2018-2023'? – Tamil Nadu.
4. 23rd January 2019 is celebrating 123 rd birth anniversary of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
5. First automatic Pizza machine is opened by IRCTC in Mumbai Central Rail Station.
6. First Hydrogen powered Bus is introduced by Tata Motors with Indian Oil for helping technical cooperation.
7. Goa government announced ban on import of fish for 6 months.
8. National Naturopathy Day is observed on November 18.
9. PM Narendra Modi addressed 'One District, One Product Regional Summit' was held in Varanasi.
10. According to NITI Aayog's SDG (Sustainable Development Goals) India Index 2018, top performing states are Himachal Pradesh, Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Worst performing states are Assam, Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
1. Which city has been named as the 'World Capital of Architecture for 2020'? – Rio de Janeiro. Rio will be the first city to receive the title under a program launched together by UNESCO and the International Union of Architects (UIA) in 2018. The city will host the 27th edition of the World Congress of the International Union of Architects (UIA) in July 2020, an event that occurs every three years.
2. Which country is hosting the '2nd World Integrated Medicine Forum' (WIMF-2019) on the 'Regulation of Homeopathic Medical Products'? – Goa, India.
3. Which country to host 14th Session of the Conference of Parties (CoP 14) to UNCCD in 2019? – India. 2017 UNCCD CoP 13 was held in Ordos, China.
4. The central bank of which country has recently banned the use of Indian currency notes? – Nepal.
5. Which country has launched satellite to create world's first artificial meteor shower? – Japan.
6. Japan has announced its decision to withdraw from the International Whaling Commission (IWC).
1. Virat Kohli is honoured with 'ICC Cricketer of the year' and 'Player of the year' in test series and ODIs.
2. Birendra Prasad Baishya, president of the Indian Weightlifting Federation (IWF) was named Chef de Mission for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
3. The official mascot of the 2020 Summer Olympic is Miraitowa.
4. The official mascot of the 2020 Summer Paralympics is Someity.
1. International Union of Architects (UIA) was formed in 1948 in Paris, France.
2. US and Israel formally quit UNESCO. UNESCO is best known for its work to preserve heritage.
3. 2018 International Whaling Commission (IWC) was held in Brazil.
4. United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) was drafted on 17th June 1994 and signed on 14th October 1994 in Paris, France.
5. JAXA – Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency. It was founded on 1st October 2003.
1. Shivakumara Swami was the spiritual leader of which sect, who passed away recently? – Shaivism.
2. Veteran Hockey Olympian Rakhbir Sir Vola passed away. He represented 1956 Melbourne and 1960 Rome Olympic.